Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattckf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30g tank with 6 angelfish - all the size of a 25 cent coin. They were doing very well for a couple of months then 2 just died - stopped eating and died suddenly within a couple of days. Water is 6.8 pH, nitrates 0, temp 78*F. The rest looks fine and healthy and eating. I feed frozen blood worms. Any idea what the problem may be?

Hi! What are the parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? 6 angels in a 30 is way too much. You'd could have one max. As they grow they are letting off more toxins and are going to become stressed in so small a space. Also without nitrates your tank doesn't seem to be cycled; is this a new tank? I'm suspecting ammonia or nitrite poisoning at this point. Try a couple of 50% water changes with dechlorinator. Cut back on feeding. Frozen foods shouldn't really be a staple food, just a treat. Try a better fish food. You'll still need to rehome most of the angels though.

Here's a couple of links for you:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The tank is completely cycled - not a new tank at all. My angels are still small - 25 cent coin size. I intend to rehouse them to a larger tank when they grow. Just retested water - NH3 is nil. NO2 is nil. NO3 is 5ppm. pH is 6.8. All pretty ideal. So I can't figure out what caused the 2 angels to stop eating and die. The remaining 4 looks absolutely fine and eating well. Very frustrating. Could it be due to the frozen worms I fed? I got the Hikari brand so I presume it is safe.

Back
Top Bottom