Angelfish acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sms1852

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank with 5 Diamond Tetras, 3 cories & one small angelfish. I haven't seen any aggression but noticed today my angelfish seems to be hiding. I tested my tank with the API kit & Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0 & Nitrate is 5.0. Could the Diamond Tetras be bullying the angel. They have been together in the same tank since March.

As long as your Angel is eating, and no outward signs of disease things will probably be okay.
Angels like tall structure to hide in. Tall plants, fake or real, do fine. 29 gallons will be a tight fit but for now, I suggest adding two more juvenile angels. This will make your angel more active and probably help things out. Good luck.

I just tried to feed him & he (or she) didn't eat. He was at the bottom of the tank but when the Diamond Tetras came near him he swam to the top. However he seems weak.

When a fish suddenly becomes sluggish and has a loss of appetite its a signal of a possible intestinal bacterial or parasitic infection. If possible remove the Angel and put him in a hospital tank. If no tank is available it's important to keep the display tank extra clean in order to ensure the other fish don't get sick. It would be a good idea to make a 30-40% WC asap making sure to do a thorough gravel vac. That alone might help your Angel. Watch your Angel for white spots or fungus. I'm not your go to guy for med. advice. I treat my fish with natural methods. Keep updating. If your Angel doen' t improve, there are a few AA members that are very knowledgeable about meds. And i' m sure one will chime in.

My angelfish died last night. My 9yr old son he noticed the the Tetras chasing the angel 2 days ago. Is there any kind of colorful fish can I get that is compatible with diamond Tetras? I'm scared if I get another angel the same thing would happen.I bought diamond Tetra because they were supposed to be peaceful fish & compatible with the angel.

I'm sorry your Angel fish died. Most larger tetras are fine with angels. There are so many fish choices available to add to your tank. Research, Columbian tetras, Buenos Aires tetras and Austrailian rainbow fish. I have kept all these varieties at one time or another. They are readily available at Petsmart or petco, usually inexpensive, and are active schooling fish. All these get nicer looking as they mature. Every once in a while we all have a fish suddenly go belly up for no apparent reason. Don't get discouraged.

Almost forgot that I still have a small school of Columbian tetras and Austrailian rainbows in my grow out tank. The Columbians are 4 y.o. the Australian rainbow is 2 y.o. I think both species were $1.99 each. Just snapped these photos for you with my cell phone.

Attachments

• 20170903_090148.jpg
    20170903_090148.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170903_091508.jpg
    20170903_091508.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 65
Almost forgot that I still have a small school of Columbian tetras and Austrailian rainbows in my grow out tank. The Columbians are 4 y.o. the Australian rainbow is 2 y.o. I think both species were $1.99 each. Just snapped these photos for you with my cell phone.

I like the top picture. Are those the Columbian Tetras?

Yes. The Columbians are pretty tough as tetras go. It takes them a little while to color up, but once acclimated they are beautiful.

I'm sorry about your angel. I'd research killifish as well. They're very colorful and should do well in a 29g. I didn't find out about them when I had my freshwater tank or I would've gotten some.

Back
Top Bottom