Angelfish & Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I have been to so many boards and trying to research rather or not Angelfish and Dwarf Gourami can be in the same tank. Everything I find is a 50/50 split some saying NO and some saying YES.
I have a 36 gallon bow front, currently with 2 mollies, 2 platies, 4 cory cats, and a snail.
I really like Dwarf Gourami and Angels and would like to get them but I want to make sure they will be okay...and the more I research the more I get confused....

I would like to add some schooling fish...that is if there is room, but I would rather have the Gourami and Angel......

In that size tank you could do 2 angels and 1 DG and there would be enough room. If the tank was planted it would be even better. Many say DG are nippy with Angel and vice versa. I've been keeping angels over 30 years and have had many DG with them over the years as well. In fact I just added a Red Flame DG to my tank with 12 adult breeding angels 2 days ago. Also if you get small young angels and a DG at the same time it usually works out fine as they mature together, so to speak. Since you already have a couple mollies and platies, both of which carry a higher bio-load I wouldn't suggest adding a school of anything else but thats just my opinion.

So your saying add a school of something (lets say zebra danios) instead of the DG or the Angel or could i do the school and the DG and Angel???

I think i could add a school of something and the DG. And be fine. But i just really like Angels.

If you have good filtration and do large weekly WC's you could add a small school, say 6 of Cardinal or Rummynose Tetras or Harleguin Rasboras along with an angel or two and a DG. Danios can drive Angels crazy with all their zipping around. The three schoolers I mentioned all do well with angels.

Thanks @Rivercats. I was planning on just doing 1 Angel but do you recommend having a pair?

Thanks @Rivercats. I was planning on just doing 1 Angel but do you recommend having a pair?

One is fine, you'll have less issues when they matue. I just like having multiple angels but you have an option of 1 or 2 in your tank. Thing is just because you get two young angels doesn't mean you'll get a pair and if you would happen to get a pair you'll have to deal with them spawning after they mature. Just want you to know what your options are.

Actually pretty stoked now knowing i should be alright with 2 Angels and a DG !!!!!

Picked up 2 Angels and a dwarf gourami today!!! Sad news is one of the Angels dead already. When i got it home and started the transfer process it was looking very stressed. I will be returning it to the LFS i purchased him from and will be looking to replace him. The other Angel and Gourami seem to be doing good. Both have kind of been hiding but every now and then they come out and seem to be loving the tank. Just hoping they will make it!!!!

Just hoping they both make it thru the night. With my past experiences if they make it thru the first night. They usually are fine. Fingers are crossed.

I had a gourami, it was awesome. Unless you picked it up far away, it shouldn't be that stressed. They are nice and hardy generally, but the angels I don't know about. Did u acclimate them, aka either drip water from the tank into their bag slowly or float the bag for a minimum of 20 minutes?

Yea i dripped the water from the tank into the bag for like 35-45 min.
Good news is both the Angel (Pauly) and the Dwarf Gourami (Sushi) are still alive and more active then they were last night. Hoping tonight to add another Angel!!!!!

Picked up another Angel today and its in the tank and seems to be doing good. The Angel and Gourami I added yesterday seem to be loving the tank. I also added another albino cory cat today because one of mine has seem to went MIA (missing in action).

Back
Top Bottom