Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angelfish and serpae tetras together?

I'm gonna have 20-25 serpae tetras and was thinking about adding a pair of angels. Is this too risky because of the fin nipping of the serpaes? I know the bigger the group that nipping is "usually" kept to themselves, anyways just wondering if anyone has a good opinion on this or have experienced these fish together. It's a 55 gallon tank by the way that's heavily planted.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
I'm gonna have 20-25 serpae tetras and was thinking about adding a pair of angels. Is this too risky because of the fin nipping of the serpaes? I know the bigger the group that nipping is "usually" kept to themselves, anyways just wondering if anyone has a good opinion on this or have experienced these fish together. It's a 55 gallon tank by the way that's heavily planted.
If the pair of angels are older, you shouldnt have to worry about THEM getting nippied. That's a lot of tetras, are the on sale in your lfs

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The angels would only be nickel size so I guess this is a no go. The serpaes were $3 and I got 15 yesterday and plan on getting 10 more. Just decided on a serpae tank for some reason, really like the look of them, but I know tank mates are hard to come by with them, I've heard mixed reviews on compatibility with other fish. I do plan on adding a BN pleco and 8-10 peppered cories.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The angels would only be nickel size so I guess this is a no go. The serpaes were $3 and I got 15 yesterday and plan on getting 10 more. Just decided on a serpae tank for some reason, really like the look of them, but I know tank mates are hard to come by with them, I've heard mixed reviews on compatibility with other fish. I do plan on adding a BN pleco and 8-10 peppered cories.
Maybe you could look around for a larger pair at a different store? I used to have serpae tetras when I was 5. And they cause no problems with most of my fish. You could run a small school of hatches, maybe giant danios, any other schooling fast moving fish would be fine.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post
Maybe you could look around for a larger pair at a different store? I used to have serpae tetras when I was 5. And they cause no problems with most of my fish. You could run a small school of hatches, maybe giant danios, any other schooling fast moving fish would be fine.
Yeah, I'll look around, might try a pair of Bolivian rams. Trying to find a centerpiece fish. As far as the giant danios, had really bad experience with them. They are a nervous wreck that just dart from side to side. Had 8 of them once and all they did was developed a pecking order and bullied each other one by one until they died.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Yeah, I'll look around, might try a pair of Bolivian rams. Trying to find a centerpiece fish. As far as the giant danios, had really bad experience with them. They are a nervous wreck that just dart from side to side. Had 8 of them once and all they did was developed a pecking order and bullied each other one by one until they died.
Bolivian rams could work.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com