Angelfish care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
before I start my 29 gallon I wanted to get angel fish but the fish store said no because that wasn't big enough for them, what's your opinion and what are some other care tips, as I still want to get some. Possibly get a 55 for them?

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was under the impression you could have two in a 29-30? How big are the fish you want? It takes a long time for them to grow (in my limited experience) at the very least you could get some dime sized ones with the intent to up grade as needed when they grow... let's face it, this hobby is addicting and most of us suffer from multiple tank syndrome you're bound to get an other tank in the future any way, and it's usually bigger not smaller.

We are planning to put one pair alone in to a 30 tall. To breed when they get bigger. I'd love to hear opinions on that too. Other wise we might have to go bigger as well. We are in the proses of moving the current residents around to make room. We have two that MAY have paired but they aren't full size yet and aren't trying to breed yet either. So I figure I have at least six months.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah they were only about 2 inches, the lady was also giving out more miss information, she said I needed at least a forty STARTER for these small angel fish and that that they were really touchy to water conditions (not sure if that's true, that's why I'm asking), selling me two ~4 inch opaline gouramis instead. I don't see her logic.

They can be sensitive. Since we started stocking our 180 we have lost a total of 8 baby angels. We never have more than 6 at a time. This isn't a big box store is it? I've had terrible quality with pet smart angels. The petco near me takes babies from a local breeder and the two of his I bought have done wonderfully.

I hate killing fish but in the end I chalk it up to learning experiences and vow never to make that mistake again. For instance I'm battling a nitrate problem (probably why my angels kept dying) and the reason I didn't know I had a problem is that I was using strips not the mast test kit. The strips show up 10-20 and I'm getting a 60-100 reading.

Sent from my iPhone

I currently have a pair of angels and a red tailed black shark in a 29. the angels are quite happy ALONE, thank you very much. They used to have some buddies, and then they ate their tetra friends, and beat their angel friend almost to death. So I would suggest getting a large tank for them and their friends, and then a smaller one, when they are forced to 'get a room'

Yes, actually it is, Petsmart. So I'm considering a 55 should this do it?

Well, you have stumbled onto a fish world controversy. How big is big enough for angels? Not everybody agrees. Some people will tell you 10g, some people will tell you 40g. Personally, I don't think a pair of angels with tankmates shouldbe housed in anything under a 29g. I would consider a single or a pair without tankmates in 20g. But, you will find many people who will tell "facts" about what size works. Imo, your 29g is fine for angels. Generally speaking, 20-29g is considered the minimum.
Another quirk of angels, the itty bitty tiny ones you see all the time should usually be avoided! I try to avoid anything smaller than the body size of a quarter. The is a MUCH higher mortality rate in the small ones. They are sensitive to so much change, and also the smallest ones suffer a pretty high mortality rate naturally because some are just not as strong as others. I definitely suggest trying to find some hobbyist bred ones if you can. Most locally owned fish stores will get batches of angels from locals who sell them in. I have by far had the best luck with raising them. If you like the chain store ones, that is fine just try to get fish that a little bigger for a better experience.
Another rule of fish keeping: if you have money/time/space for a bigger tank, do it! More space is usually better for home tanks. You will appreciate having more room for more species, trust me! :)

Yes, actually it is, Petsmart. So I'm considering a 55 should this do it?

Like I said, I would avoid petsmart angels like the plague. Isn't there ANY where else you can get them? One employee told me most don't even survive the shipment. Big box stores are fine for some fish (danios, tetrAs, rasboras, guppies) but any of the sensitive ones (ime) die swiftly. Again this is my limited experience.

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't found a lfs close to me beside the chains, trust me if I had the choice I would not go there but that's what I have, I live near grand rapids...?

That's all I want is two angels... Possibly a small school of corries?

Should be no problem at all. :) If you want lots of fry, any other tanksmates have the potential to eat eggs at night while the parents sleep. But, if you not concerned about fry count, then you have even more wiggle room for a few tankmates.

Sounds great, what are some good tank mates for angels if I go bigger,(preferably Amazon based)

Back
Top Bottom