angelfish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
It came to me in a dream last night...I should have an angelfish in my tank.
But I need to know if it will eventually eat my cory cats? I have 9

Is it because the angel wont pay attention to the bottom?
Will the corys even fit in its mouth?
I know angels can be aggressive and nip a fish to death

Its hard to pick out a pair at the pet shop. To get a pair you would need 3-5 angels and let them work it out. As far as aggression goes they won't touch your cories.

Oh, didn't think about that.
well sometimes at my petshop they have a pair in a tank by themselves.

And what happens if I get two that aren't a pair? Would they be aggressive toward each other?

Ok if they are in the same tank watch them for aggression. If they aren't a pair they will likely be aggressive towards each other. If you do get a pair and they breed they will be aggressive towards the other fish but will just drive them away from the eggs or wrigglers.

Can I remove the eggs to another aquarium after they're laid? And would that take away the aggression

yea you can if you want. It would be better if you isolate the parents along with the eggs.

Do the parents need to be with the eggs?
And also I forgot to ask would shrimp (amano, red cherry) be safe with angels?

The parents will usually raise the young but I'm not sure if it's necessary for them to be with eggs. As for shrimp I'm not sure if they'll be eaten. I'm thinking they will when the angel is adult but I might be wrong since angels are top dwellers and most shrimp stay at the bottom. Again though I could be wrong.

no. I've never tried amanos, they are substantially larger than cherry shrimp though so they might be o.k.

Having a pair only means they will get aggressive when spawning, if the tank is large enough and they have enough cover then it's not usually a big deal because the other fish will stay away.

I have 1 corie and 4 angels; two of the angels keep mating (5th time, most recently). Everyone gets along but as Oscarr19 pointed out, when they do mate, they're aggressive to all their other tank mates, not just the corie.

jetajockey said:
Angels aren't top dwellers. And they will definitely eat RCS. After you move the eggs out they will eventually get out of parenting mode, at least till they spawn again.

From having angels and from what I've read angels stay towards the top of the aquarium. Atleast from my experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom