Angelfish death! NEED ANSWERS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from the other thread

Are they all compatible?
Okay guys it's me again. My 75 gallon had a disaster of a bacterial bloom during cycling but it is all better now and it will be a few weeks till I start adding fish again.

Here's what I have ALREADY: 2 angelfish, 1 peacock eel, 2 pictus catfish, 4 mystery snails, 1 Cory cat(there is a story behind this and I will be adding more to give him friends), and 1 dwarf fire belly gourami.

He just said he had an angel fish and 2 pictus cats die, last week another angelfish died, this is not the first thread on the matter....

His tank is not cycled and I'm sure the readings are wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I know it's not cycled.

My point is that ammonia and nitrite spikes can be lethal without being detectable via a test kit. Fish produce a lot less ammonia than we sometimes think.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He just said he had an angel fish and 2 pictus cats die, last week another angelfish died, this is not the first thread on the matter....

His tank is not cycled and I'm sure the readings are wrong...

My 2 pictus died yesterday. My angel (1 of 2) died today.YES the tank is not finished cycling. I am a victim of the commonly told "24hour cycle" that pet associates tell and I did not know any different till after I had this tank set up and going. I can't just go back and start over now.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

from the other thread

Are they all compatible?
Okay guys it's me again. My 75 gallon had a disaster of a bacterial bloom during cycling but it is all better now and it will be a few weeks till I start adding fish again.

Here's what I have ALREADY: 2 angelfish, 1 peacock eel, 2 pictus catfish, 4 mystery snails, 1 Cory cat(there is a story behind this and I will be adding more to give him friends), and 1 dwarf fire belly gourami.

Yes that is my post and it says all those fish but ONLY the ones I listed in the description were added. All that is left is 1 angel, the gourami, and the peacock eel. I moved the angel and the gourami to my 45g(it was not completely stocked) just so they can breathe in an established tank till I get this one fixed. I did acclimate them before adding them in and all the fish seem to like them. I did not add the peacock eel because I simply could not find him.

Caleb

If you have a 45 gallon up and running why don't you try seeding your problem tank...

Logically there will be a cycle...

Keep up with your water changes to help out the eel....

If you have a 45 gallon up and running why don't you try seeding your problem tank...

Logically there will be a cycle...

Keep up with your water changes to help out the eel....

Michelle I believe I said in the beginning I went to my LFS today and got seeded filter media. It was added almost exactly 8 hours ago in both running filters.

Caleb

I'm not trying to sound smart or anything because I definitely am not compared to most people on this forum. I'm on here to learn and thanks to all of you for being patient with me and helping me learn. I just freaked out when I saw one of my beautiful angels dead because I take my signature to heart. I love everyone of my..now..25.. Fish.

Caleb

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you why the angel died. At this point I would either move everything out of that tank and do a fishless cycle or if that's not possible test daily and do water changes as needed.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you why the angel died. At this point I would either move everything out of that tank and do a fishless cycle or if that's not possible test daily and do water changes as needed.

Thanks. So far everything but the snails and the peacock eel are out. I'm not really worried about the snails and I can't find the eel. I'll stay up to date with water changes.

Caleb

Just test and change water as needed, it's not impossible to keep fish healthy in a cycling tank. Especially a 75 gal. Fish die for all sorts if reasons, it may have been completely unrelated to the current situation, best to note it and move on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just test and change water as needed, it's not impossible to keep fish healthy in a cycling tank. Especially a 75 gal. Fish die for all sorts if reasons, it may have been completely unrelated to the current situation, best to note it and move on.

That's true. At least it wasn't some $150 fish I lost :)

Caleb

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you why the angel died.

Have to agree with this. Based on the info given, that being the readings, one can not say the fish died because of the tank not being cycled. Angels can be problematic, often depending on their source. A friend who works at a local large aquarium store tells me the hardest fish for them to keep alive are the imported (from the East) guppies and angels. Wild angels, don't present a problem. So, the tank not being cycled may or may not be the issue.

Just got out of Petsmart. I had 2 samples tested. 1 from last night and one from this morning.

The guy used test strips but everything was normal EXCEPT my pH.

The pH for last night was 6.2 according to his test. Mine said 6.8-7.0 range.

The sample from this morning said the water pH was 7.0.

Can pH change that fast or is his test just off?

Caleb

Ph can/will fluctuate in the first 24-48 hours out of the tap. Mine goes from high 8 ' s down to mid 7s

He suggested a 25g water change as well. I just did a 20g change a few days ago.

Caleb

50% weekly is the standard in my home.. more on the small tank..

Petsmart uses strips to test? Is that policy or varies by store?

Yes he used 1 strip for pH and 1 strip for everything else. I used a Master Test Kit (API) at home. I don't know if it varies per store.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom