Angelfish death! NEED ANSWERS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
knowing they can be inaccurate, that just doesn't seem to make good sense. They sell the liquid kit so you'd assume there would be one open on which they test they own tanks and likewise for customers.

Even crappy NYC Petland uses liquid kits.

But personally if there is an inconsistency, I'd ignore the test strip result completely.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422299169.390678.jpg

New readings. Either this kit is messed up or my pH is now at 7.6...

Ammonia still looks like 0.25

Nitrite is 0

Nitrate is 0... But I added live bacteria to both my filters exactly 24 hours ago. I got active filter media from LFS so either it wasn't actually active or I'm missing something.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I followed the book on all of these tests right down to counting seconds out loud.

Caleb

Use the High PH test and see what that reading is.

In my opinion, you are just starting your cycle if I read those results and nothing else. (I don't recall at the moment what you are currently stocked with). Only reason I say that is Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate and you have zero of the latter two.

Nitrite looks like it could be a little darker than zero but hard to tell from this monitor

Use the High PH test and see what that reading is.

In my opinion, you are just starting your cycle if I read those results and nothing else.

This tank has been up for 3 weeks. My readings have been the same everything till now I'm getting a pH swing.

Caleb

Good, so not lethal. At least you can rule that out as to what is killing any fish.

Can you explain like the process of cycling. I think it's ammonia spike, nitrite spike, nitrate spike. I don't know out of 4 tanks this is the only one I've actually "cycled" the way it's supposed to be. And the only tank I've had a fish death in besides a Cory cat that died of stress(didn't know they were schooling at the time). I want to be able to look at my readings and say "okay I'm this far along in the cycling process, # weeks and it will be finished"

Caleb

Okay Paps I've read through almost the whole thing. I got 2 questions.

1. I've already added fish. They have all been removed but 1 and some snails. Should I start by dosing the ammonia to 4ppm?

2. If i really need to go get my peacock eel OUT. If I can't find him will the 4ppm kill him? I'm not going to break down and cry but I would like to find him if I can.

Caleb

I'm going here in a minute to ACE since I have one locally to find some pure ammonia.

Caleb

Just do a fish in cycle, you have seeded media, it'd be crazy to take out fish and add ammonia instead. Test your water and change as needed.. 1 ppm ammonia? 50% wc and your safe. Simple; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well either way my ammonia has not budged from 0.

Caleb

Just do a fish in cycle, you have seeded media, it'd be crazy to take out fish and add ammonia instead. Test your water and change as needed.. 1 ppm ammonia? 50% wc and your safe. Simple; )

I took out my fish last night BECAUSE a they looked like they were suffering. The article he gave me was for a fish less cycle

Caleb

That's cool, good luck!!

That's cool, good luck!!

Hey if fish in is faster and safer I'll do that but I just don't want the rest of my fish harmed. Otherwise I'm doing fishless

Caleb

If they're already out of the tank than do.it fishless at that point. Fish in is totally fine if you're up.for the work. Fishless involves much less water changes.

Aanother question...since I have live plants do I need to turn my light on and risk an algae bloom or leave it off and risk my plants?

Caleb

Okay so I have my bottle ammonia. How much should bring my tank up to 4ppm? I'd like to avoid a big water change to bring it back down when I can just add the right amount in the first place.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom