Angelfish dying!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwspong

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I've had 2 angels for about 6 months. About 3 weeks ago I added 2 more, 1 died 1 has been doing fine. All of a sudden, a few days ago, my newest angel has been floating in the same 2 spots. Right beside the heat, or corner, both at the surface, not moving or eating. Is she dying?

Water parameters are fine, all other fish are fine. Also, did about a 50% water change the day the odd behaviour started.

Thanks!

What size is the tank? And what is the temperature of your water?

I have been told Angels were very mean to their own kind. I had one, got two more and it ALWAYS picked on them, untill they were both dead, so I said fine you can live by yourself in a community tank, He seems to like it too....

50 Gal. Temperature is 80. Also, other angels dont bother her at all, neither do the other community fish.

I only have one in my tank along with other fish and she minds her own. I asked the petstore if getting more would b an issue and they said yes she would turn grouchy and get very territorial. Yours prolly got picked on to death.

The 2 original angels have already claimed the tank as their territory. When you have existing angels and want to add more angels the safest way to do it is to remove the original angels, change the tank around, add the new angels, then finally re-add the old angels. What this does is makes the old angels think they are in a different tank which has no territory so all of the angels are starting out on equal terms. This isn't foolproof but I've found over the years this method works the best.

Some angels are more sensitive to changes than others. I've only successfully kept angels by buying a lot very young and hoping a couple survive. I have one in my 60 gallon whose been tank boss for a year and a half now. I wouldn't dare add another angel at this point.

Well bred, genetically sound angels are not sensitive or delicate. I've been keeping them over 30 years and found overall they are pretty hardy fish. But I always buy mine from breeders or establishments that breed their own stock. Currently I have 12 adults in my 220g planted.

Back
Top Bottom