Angelfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJonline

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night I got a black angel fish to go in my planted 60 gal. The only other thing in the tank are 4 pictus catfish they have been in there about 2 weeks. ( I had neon fish from other tank after the cycle up until I put in the pictus catfish) Its been set up about 6 months. I got the angel home, acclimated him to the tank and shut the lights out. He was stressed and hiding behind plants. I checked to make sure he was ok before bed and I just turned on the lights to check on everyone this morning.

The fins on the angel are frayed, pretty bad. I don't remember him having frayed fins - I wouldn't have gotten him if he did. It would have to be the pictus that did that, right? Everything I read, and that has been a lot, said an Angel would be fine with the catfish.

Has anyone ever had a pictus pick the fins of an Angel - or any other fish? Advice on what to do now would be great.

Last edited:
I am not positive about the pictus cats, but as far as I know they don't bother larger fish. Somebody else can comment about that who has actually kept pictus.
Can you put up a picture? One option is fin rot. Any snaggy plastic plants?

How big is the Angel?
How big are the Cats?
What are your water parameters?

Pictish Cats are a nocturnal carnivorous fish that will attempt to eat smaller fish if it thinks it will fit in it's mouth. Maybe the Angel got jumped while he was sleeping?

I'll see about getting the pic.

A - 0
Ni - 0
Na - 10
PH - 6.8
Temp - 78

I do have some fake plants in there with the real ones. I have a friend giving me some more live ones this weekend. Should I remove the fake ones? I watched the Angel and he picks at them but he did that with the real ones too. He is eating fine, swimming all around and pays no mind to the cats. And they seem to not care he is in the tank.

The cats are about 2 to 3 inches long. The Angels body is about the size of a quarter or half dollar. Some one said I should get him a friend but I don't want to do that if he has finrot. Could finrot come on that fast? What do I do to get rid of the rot?

Here is the Angel this morning. Looks worse, more like finrot but I didn't notice it in the store and my water is fine. What is going on and how do I fix it.

Attachments

• DSC03835.jpg
    DSC03835.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC03837.jpg
    DSC03837.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 80
If its fin rot, it should clear up with really clean water. I wouldn't medicate it unless it gets worse. Yes, fin rot can be fast. If the water at the store wasn't great and then the stress of moving to a new tank may have triggered it. It doesn't look bad though. For now, just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom