Angelfish help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMichael

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some advice/help on what to do with one of my angelfish. I currently have two angelfish that are about 3" top to bottom. Housed with a rainbow shark, Dwarf Guorami, six red skirt tetras, neon tetras, and a pleco. All in a 45 gallon tank.

Here is my tank

The problem is that one angelfish (The Marble Angel) is aggressive towards the other angelfish. When I watch them it seems like the marble is trying to keep the other out of its territory. The marble has also nipped and subsequently killed some of the neons. I was told that the neons would be fine, but now I have read online that they are not. What should I do?

I need some advice/help on what to do with one of my angelfish. I currently have two angelfish that are about 3" top to bottom. Housed with a rainbow shark, Dwarf Guorami, six red skirt tetras, neon tetras, and a pleco. All in a 45 gallon tank.

Here is my tank

The problem is that one angelfish (The Marble Angel) is aggressive towards the other angelfish. When I watch them it seems like the marble is trying to keep the other out of its territory. The marble has also nipped and subsequently killed some of the neons. I was told that the neons would be fine, but now I have read online that they are not. What should I do?

Sometimes you just get an aggressive angel, and they can also be pretty aggressive when trying to get the other to mate. I just had to rehome one of my marbles because he was attacking my bigger female, I didn't want to but he would have likely killed her and I'm not havin that. You can try putting a tall plant/decoration in the middle of your tank to keep the bullied angel out of the bully's line of sight and add more hiding spots for your neons but that may not work.

Same here, my gold angel was bullying my other 7 angels in the tank (nipping fins, occasionally killing a few smaller fish) so I just took it out and put it in my goldfish tank. He seems happier there...I am selling him though.

What you can try to do before rehoming the other angel is to temp remove both angels from the tank, then totally rearrange the tank and readd them. It will be like they are being put in a new tank with no established territories. BUT if you have one that has started killing smaller fish that will most likely continue so re-homing it might be your best option. Your call on how you want to handle it.

I recently redecorated that tank and that seemed to help. I was watching them today and the marble angel was mostly being peaceful. The only time I really notice him/her being aggressive when I'm right up at the tank. The only thing I can deduce is that being fed triggers its aggression. I only feed my fish once a day, usually in they mornings. Maybe mixing the feeding times up a bit, or maybe feeding them more?

When feeding is the issue try feeding at both ends of the tank. The aggressor can't be at both ends of the tank at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom