Angelfish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah but when you get angel fish from pet store that are kept and 6.8 and put them in 7.6 or higher ph. It can put them in stress

So your saying.....all angelfish are kept in 6.8 ph at pet stores...

Not realistic to believe that.

So your saying.....all angelfish are kept in 6.8 ph at pet stores...

Not realistic to believe that.

No that's not what I am saying. I am saying if the pet shop he gets his angel fish from are keeping them at 6.8 and he is putting them in 7.6, it could put em in stress. Everything he has shown on his testing looks great. I am just giving him something to try that might help

No that's not what I am saying. I am saying if the pet shop he gets his angel fish from are keeping them at 6.8 and he is putting them in 7.6, it could put em in stress. Everything he has shown on his testing looks great. I am just giving him something to try that might help

I have a 55g aquarium. When I first put angel fish in my aquarium, they would die. I talked to the pet shop I bought them from and they asked me how my tank tested and my ph was either 7.6 or 7.8. Can't remember for sure. They told me to try lowering ph to 7.0 cause they kept there's at 6.8 in angels since they liked that best. I lowered ph to 7.0 and haven't lost any angels since

I purchased an angel from LPS yesterday and tested their water at 7.6 PH. They have been selling them for decades. I don't know what the upper PH limit for angels is but I suspect it is not mid 7s.

I purchased an angel from LPS yesterday and tested their water at 7.6 PH. They have been selling them for decades. I don't know what the upper PH limit for angels is but I suspect it is not mid 7s.

I don't know what upper ph is either. I am just saying if there is low and you put in a tank that is a lot higher, it can put em in stress

The thing is even if its high pH. 12 hours and all Angels die? Its not possible.

I am sure OP has some disease in his tank which was slowly spread and all other fish got acclimated but for Angels its too much to handle suddenly.

6.5-7.5 I believe for the majority of species.

I believe that is preferred range. Only point, which kashif and others have already stated, is they are not going to drop over dead in a few hours or half a day in water that is anywhere near reasonable. Of course you shouldn't shock them with a sudden large PH change. Folks raise angels in 8.0 water around here. Do they live as long? I don't know. Non-wild fish are quite PH adaptable, and many are raised in high PH water from birth.

You could try putting a divider in the tank and keeping the angels separate from the other fish for a few days. Then you'll know if it's water parameters or the other fish. Of course if it's the other fish, you're a bit SOL. The only other idea would be to buy larger Angels that could hold their own but it's risky because they are usually quite pricey.

The thing is even if its high pH. 12 hours and all Angels die? Its not possible.

I am sure OP has some disease in his tank which was slowly spread and all other fish got acclimated but for Angels its too much to handle suddenly.

I believe that you were 100% right. Some sort of disease. Reason I say that is because water parameters in tank are still good and I've lost my red tail and my bala shark in the past week. All I'm left with is 2 pictus and my rainbow. But I've been doing serious WC for the past 3 days and those 3 are still doing well. But anyways, I have since gotten a new medium sized angel and I put in my peaceful tank and he's doing well! He's been in there for 2 days now and is very active and eats well. Doesn't bother any of the other fish in the community either so I think he was a good match for my 36 gallon.

Mine all survive well at 8.2 +. And have never had problems

My angels are about 5 years old living in 8.0 ph water, I wouldn't stress over your ph readings.
What I would do is try to get fish from a different lfs, perhaps those you have been getting are/were diseased and already doomed.
Something else... if you have another tank. place the new angels there first for a while and observe...

I believe that you were 100% right. Some sort of disease. Reason I say that is because water parameters in tank are still good and I've lost my red tail and my bala shark in the past week. All I'm left with is 2 pictus and my rainbow. But I've been doing serious WC for the past 3 days and those 3 are still doing well. But anyways, I have since gotten a new medium sized angel and I put in my peaceful tank and he's doing well! He's been in there for 2 days now and is very active and eats well. Doesn't bother any of the other fish in the community either so I think he was a good match for my 36 gallon.
Yes I was right. Same has happened with me in past. You need to clean your tank thoroughly. If you can move remaining move fish to other tank then clean ur tank completely. Wash gravel and maybe do an anti biotic course in tank like amoxciline etc.

Angelfish are very hardy. Even if you dump them straight to ur tank without acclimated them they will be fine so there is something wrong with the other fish you have. They are being picked up at night I believe.

I don't know where you get your Angelfish because by and large most store bought angels are very fragile. Count yourself lucky.

Yes I was right. Same has happened with me in past. You need to clean your tank thoroughly. If you can move remaining move fish to other tank then clean ur tank completely. Wash gravel and maybe do an anti biotic course in tank like amoxciline etc.

Diseases have a very specific course of growth and infection. Without any single sign of illness I think it is VERY premature to say "I was right" in regards to infection. One of the only aquatic illnesses that exist that can kill healthy fish that quickly is columnaris and that has very prominent signs.

I would instead bank on it more likely being pH (Assuming the other parameters are being tested properly). Have you had the tank's dKH tested at all? If the dKH is too low it will cause wild swings in pH during the regular day / night cycle causing a lot of stress on fish.

An easy way to test if there's a pH swing is by testing it at night right before you turn your lights out. Test it again in the morning right before any light starts hitting the tank.

I don't know where you get your Angelfish because by and large most store bought angels are very fragile. Count yourself lucky.

Diseases have a very specific course of growth and infection. Without any single sign of illness I think it is VERY premature to say "I was right" in regards to infection. One of the only aquatic illnesses that exist that can kill healthy fish that quickly is columnaris and that has very prominent signs.

I would instead bank on it more likely being pH (Assuming the other parameters are being tested properly). Have you had the tank's dKH tested at all? If the dKH is too low it will cause wild swings in pH during the regular day / night cycle causing a lot of stress on fish.

An easy way to test if there's a pH swing is by testing it at night right before you turn your lights out. Test it again in the morning right before any light starts hitting the tank.
I bought Angelfish here and in one other country and never had any problems with them. I am not an expert aquarist but never had case of a fragile Angel. They are hardy and that you can find on Angel species profile info too.

I said I was right because OP has the same water in other tank with same pH and Angelfish is thriving there nicely. OP has his other fish died in the same problem tank. So its the tank has something and if water parameters are fine then it can be a disease that is killing fish. Angelfish which we now have are captive breed and use to high and low pH levels. They just don't like fluctuations in pH. Other than that they are fine with high or low pH.

Back
Top Bottom