Angelfish Kissing, OR determining dominance or a possible mate??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
9um8n5.jpg

White fuzz I'm freaking out over

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

9um8n5.jpg

My angels

Any info will be appreciated

Ok I'm extremely embarrassed but after much thought, searching and watching my tank endlessly I removed this thing and I have concluded it is the remains of an Oto. TBH I'm not sure if I could feel like a bigger *** than I do right now. I had to share this because it's not right to waste your kind peoples time. I do apologize. Amy

~ obviously a newbie

Don't feel bad. Anyone who has been at this for any amount of time is lying if they say they haven't done something similar.

Long ago I swear to God I knew I had an angel with septicemia, pics online looked the same, ready to click to get meds shipped in. Someone said no, stressed, see what might be stressing the fish. Sure enough a couple others in the tank had paired, I was focused on the "ill" fish. I chased some other golds around with a net, same red line started to show up, imitation septicemia.

I'm clueless what that is, but guessing a pretty bad disease. I'm glad someone helped you before you spent money and added an unneeded chemical. As for me I saw spawn, thought eggs and freaked. But I spent a long time doing count on the 6 otos and kept coming up with 5. My filter is a drop in and has a center hole maybe 1/4", my 6 yr old had me come look not long ago, 1 oto was all the way in the filter, few days later one was in the hole going into the filter. I won't get rid of the filter I love it, and it's the only problem I've had. There's plenty other areas for them. Note the filter is just to the left in the picture not sure if you can see it.

Geez, I go to bed early ONE NIGHT and all Heck breaks loose. lol FYI, there is nothing that goes on in a fish tank that requires one to "freak out". ;) Nothing JUST happens. There were signs that you may have missed but they were there. As TOLAK said, everybody has had a "surprise" in their fish keeping days but all you need to do is take the appropriate action. (I hope that makes you feel better Amy. :) )

I can't really get a good look at the pic but pretty much anything white and fuzzy in a tank is not alive. Even if they were Angelfish eggs, they are dead when white and they don;t get fuzzy for at least a day after they die so there is nothing you can do for them at that point. Look at the pic I attached and you will see what Angel eggs should look like.

My guess is that you stirred something up when you stirred up the gravel and it just settled into that area. It may have been excess food ( the most common reason for white fuzzy stuff in a tank) or possibly a fish carcass ( but you said everyone was accounted for. :confused: ) The best thing to do, as you did, is remove the object(s) and figure out why there was fuzzy in the tank. Maybe your filter isn;t working 100% anymore? Maybe you overfeed? ( You gotta STOP THAT if you are BTW ;) ) Maybe it's overdue for a water change? Play detective and figure it out. The cleaner the water, the less white fuzzy stuff happens. There has to be a balance. :dance:

Hope this helps (y)

Attachments

• Blushing Spawn.jpg
    Blushing Spawn.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 85
Geez, I go to bed early ONE NIGHT and all Heck breaks loose. lol FYI, there is nothing that goes on in a fish tank that requires one to "freak out". ;) Nothing JUST happens. There were signs that you may have missed but they were there. As TOLAK said, everybody has had a "surprise" in their fish keeping days but all you need to do is take the appropriate action. (I hope that makes you feel better Amy. :) )

I can't really get a good look at the pic but pretty much anything white and fuzzy in a tank is not alive. Even if they were Angelfish eggs, they are dead when white and they don;t get fuzzy for at least a day after they die so there is nothing you can do for them at that point. Look at the pic I attached and you will see what Angel eggs should look like.

My guess is that you stirred something up when you stirred up the gravel and it just settled into that area. It may have been excess food ( the most common reason for white fuzzy stuff in a tank) or possibly a fish carcass ( but you said everyone was accounted for. :confused: ) The best thing to do, as you did, is remove the object(s) and figure out why there was fuzzy in the tank. Maybe your filter isn;t working 100% anymore? Maybe you overfeed? ( You gotta STOP THAT if you are BTW ;) ) Maybe it's overdue for a water change? Play detective and figure it out. The cleaner the water, the less white fuzzy stuff happens. There has to be a balance. :dance:

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you Andy. I'm sure it's just remains of a fish, as you said something I stirred up maybe. I can't imagine needing more water changes, I do them faithfully every week. The water that comes out isn't even that bad looking. That says a lot for me as I'm literally OCD about keeping clean. That is why I had so many problems to start, with each cleaning I was setting back to beginning of cycling. This is a dumb question and I've posted threads about it, how much do I feed them? How much is to much? They are picky eaters too.

Thank you Andy. I'm sure it's just remains of a fish, as you said something I stirred up maybe. I can't imagine needing more water changes, I do them faithfully every week. The water that comes out isn't even that bad looking. That says a lot for me as I'm literally OCD about keeping clean. That is why I had so many problems to start, with each cleaning I was setting back to beginning of cycling. This is a dumb question and I've posted threads about it, how much do I feed them? How much is to much? They are picky eaters too.

It will take some practice but you need to figure out how much food you feed in total, throughout the day, and then split that into multiple meals. The general amount is as much as the fish consume in 1 -2 minutes, 3 times per day. Some feed more, some feed less. This is the method I've always used and continue to to this day. I also feed 3 different types of food so it's not so easy to just lump all the food together and divide it into 3 parts unfortunately. So the key is to not see food floating around the tank or on the bottom after about 5 minutes.
I do recommend that if you are having problems with figuring out amounts, try feeding the fish less amounts but more often. This way, you are sure to have all your fish getting some food throughout the day.

Hope this helps (y)

It will take some practice but you need to figure out how much food you feed in total, throughout the day, and then split that into multiple meals. The general amount is as much as the fish consume in 1 -2 minutes, 3 times per day. Some feed more, some feed less. This is the method I've always used and continue to to this day. I also feed 3 different types of food so it's not so easy to just lump all the food together and divide it into 3 parts unfortunately. So the key is to not see food floating around the tank or on the bottom after about 5 minutes.

I do recommend that if you are having problems with figuring out amounts, try feeding the fish less amounts but more often. This way, you are sure to have all your fish getting some food throughout the day.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you Andy, the weird thing is that people say I over feed but the food is gone before it hits mid tank let alone substate. I was feeding 2x a day until a couple people said I'm probably over feeding. I don't want to do that. Actually today I tossed an algae wafer in and the angels were enjoying it also. I feed them flakes, freeze dried bloodworms and tropical granules. They don't like the chichlid pellets or freeze dried shrimp. I've tired a couple veggies but no interest. Sometimes I'll toss in crushed flakes for the bumblebee gobys, just a pinch. They do well in there, I had them before angels. I still keep watch to be sure they are ok.

They have been known to do this before spawning

They have been known to do this before spawning

I will or should find out soon I'd think. We'll see. You are the 2nd one to say this.

I've been at my crafting table a better part of the day, I get to see my Angels while creating my pieces. Today I have noticed a lot of the "kissing" or "fighting". Here's what I observed: 1 is not always the initiator, they both go toward the other, I noticed 1 of their ventral fins was cut off at the 1/2 way point, the other is missing their caudal filament on the bottom, when they are "kissing" the same angel always corners the other, in other situations the one who wins at the kissing fight doesn't fair so well. Also these angels generally always stick close together. IMO they seem protective of each other but I'm not 100% sure of that.
I have no clue the sexes of these angels, I thought they were m/f, then I questioned it. They are in a 29 gal with 3 platy, otos and bb gobys. Tank is lightly planted with a large rock and smaller river stones. Water parimeters are great.
So what's my question? I don't know. I have watched the videos on fighting vs spawning, pretty much looks the same to me, when I mute the music. I've read, searched, researched and I'm at a loss. The only thing I can say is by watching and seeing them hours a day I don't have reason to feel it will get out of control, at least not in a matter of a few hours or a day. Again I'm not 100%. I have seen my guppies fight harder or try and breed to the point of killing the other, but not the angels. What's your opinion?

Alright so I'm the only one on this thread talking or typing anymore. I must continue though, I know something very fishy is going on with my angels. They have been acting strange for 2 days now. They are staying very close to each other, swimming slowly, ya know they kind of look like a cop walking the beat, knowing something is going down. They have been clearing algae ( or I think that's what they are doing) on a rock, certain parts of the driftwood and some plants. They also seem to be studying areas of the tank. They were chasing the platys away for no apparent reason. Anyway I moved them, the whole thing is odd but I find myself watching and an hour can go by seeming like nothing. It's a great show whatever they are doing. :)

Alright so I'm the only one on this thread talking or typing anymore. I must continue though, I know something very fishy is going on with my angels. They have been acting strange for 2 days now. They are staying very close to each other, swimming slowly, ya know they kind of look like a cop walking the beat, knowing something is going down. They have been clearing algae ( or I think that's what they are doing) on a rock, certain parts of the driftwood and some plants. They also seem to be studying areas of the tank. They were chasing the platys away for no apparent reason. Anyway I moved them, the whole thing is odd but I find myself watching and an hour can go by seeming like nothing. It's a great show whatever they are doing. :)

They could be cleaning off a place to spawn (y), keep a lookout for eggs. Have they shown breeding vents yet?

Yes they both have. This was the 1st time I've noticed so much unique behavior.

Yup your correct that's spawning behavior. Look at the vents one should be pointy that would be male other would be blunt that would be female. They might get real aggressive towards other fish so if you want to have a better chance at babies you will have to remove other fish

Yup your correct that's spawning behavior. Look at the vents one should be pointy that would be male other would be blunt that would be female. They might get real aggressive towards other fish so if you want to have a better chance at babies you will have to remove other fish

Thank you Aces, I actually did remove the platys. I see the angels do a little pecking at each other. Can you tell me, I don't have slate just river rocks (1 aprox 4") and driftwood. I did notice vents on both, but what stuck out was one was a bit longer as the other was more like a nub. Does any of this make sense? I could use any, knowledgeable help. Thanks.

Curved rocks not really their use the intake then of filter or even glass side of tank if you had a piece of pic pipe or piece of plexy glass something flare with a bit of weight of course fish safe would do. Or if you have a big plant they will also use leaf real or fake but usually plant leaf has to be a nice size I use theseImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418828578.937536.jpg

One is clay other is plexy with a bend oh also if you have 2 flower clay pots put together they will use that also put 2 clay pots together open to each open end and use some aquarium silicone to glue together that will also do great

Remember first few spawns they are usually eaten by parents so don't get hope up that much also you will have to cover intake tube before wigglers stage so they don't get sucked up you can use some leg stocking or wrap filter floss over with a rubber band to hold on

Curved rocks not really their use the intake then of filter or even glass side of tank if you had a piece of pic pipe or piece of plexy glass something flare with a bit of weight of course fish safe would do. Or if you have a big plant they will also use leaf real or fake but usually plant leaf has to be a nice size I use theseView attachment 258711

One is clay other is plexy with a bend oh also if you have 2 flower clay pots put together they will use that also put 2 clay pots together open to each open end and use some aquarium silicone to glue together that will also do great

Snap I wish I saw this hours ago. I did get a piece of PVC piping it's not huge probably 4" high 1" round. I have a ceramic planter pot. Is plexy glass what they use on the clear cover aquarium lids! If so I can break it length wise at the hinge.
I've been doing loads of reading, google, many other links, hours of reading, read the entire wigglers thread a while back.
From what I'm reading I should expect the parents to eat the eggs the first few times, I also read they will spawn again every 2-3 weeks until they succeed at this.
The filter I have is custom made so I'm a little concerned about what you said, there is an opening on top. The inner is stuffed with floss, but I found a bristlenose in the tube, and an oto managed to get all the way in.

Back
Top Bottom