Angelfish question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erikajohnson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We just added a small angelfish to our tank, about quarter sized. He's hanging out at the very top of the tank near the filter in his own little corner. He still is swimming around, just barely below the surface. I am wondering if this normal behavior for an angelfish in a new tank or if the water is too off for him, if he is sick, or if it might be from the stress of moving. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We just added a small angelfish to our tank, about quarter sized. He's hanging out at the very top of the tank near the filter in his own little corner. He still is swimming around, just barely below the surface. I am wondering if this normal behavior for an angelfish in a new tank or if the water is too off for him, if he is sick, or if it might be from the stress of moving. Thanks!

In my experience, this is a sign of a sick Angelfish. Did you quarantine this fish before adding it to your main tank? If not, was this fish displaying this behavior in the tank you bought it from? Normally, an Angelfish will swim mainly in the middle sector of the water column unless it's feeding time then, if they are like mine :brows:, they are up at the top waiting for their food.
A few things to consider: is there any fish already in the tank that may be harassing this new fish? What is the water temp in comparison to the temp of the tank it came from? same for the water chemistry? What was your acclimating process?

These answers may better help us to figure out the problem (y)

We do have some fish in the tank already but they are all quite mellow. Minimal conflicts. Hmm we keep our tank at a bit lower temp. Could this be causing him to stay at the top next to the lights that put out quite a bit of heat? I'm thinking we will up the temp a few degrees and do a 30% water change tomorrow just in case.

We do have some fish in the tank already but they are all quite mellow. Minimal conflicts. Hmm we keep our tank at a bit lower temp. Could this be causing him to stay at the top next to the lights that put out quite a bit of heat? I'm thinking we will up the temp a few degrees and do a 30% water change tomorrow just in case.

Actually, fish staying at the surface is usually due to lack of oxygen which usually happens in warmer water temps. Cooler water holds more oxygen so blindly changing things is not really the best answer. What is the actual temperature of your tank water?
If the water chemistry was different and you then do another 30% change and make it different again, you are making the fish do more adjusting which, when under stress, is about the last thing you want to do to them. Do you know what your water chemistry is? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH levels need to be noted before making any changes. I strongly suggest you get these values before changing any water. Also, you didn;t mention anything about the way you acclimated your fish or if you QTed your fish. "Minimal conflicts" means there are conflicts going on in the tank. Are you sure the other fish are not bothering this new fish? That would be a typical thing to happen BTW.

I'm not trying to pick on ya ;) but doing things "just in case" is really poor tank management. Doing things "because" you know they need to be done is better management. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

We need more info :p

Pics?

Water chem: Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, temp, etc.

What's your WC schedule and what size tank is he in?

Who are the other inhabitants?

Hope your new angel is OK! (y)

My angelfish do this all the time. Perfectly healthy angels too. They'll go up to the top corner hang out for a bit and then go swimming. I think it's the heater in the corner my angels like. This shouldn't be a problem unless the angels are showing signs of disease. He could also be stressed if it's only been a couple days since releasing him to your tank. And if it is a lack of oxygen, all the fish would be showing signs. Are any of your other fish acting weird or abnormal? I would also check your parameters too.

My angelfish do this all the time. Perfectly healthy angels too. They'll go up to the top corner hang out for a bit and then go swimming. I think it's the heater in the corner my angels like. This shouldn't be a problem unless the angels are showing signs of disease. He could also be stressed if it's only been a couple days since releasing him to your tank. And if it is a lack of oxygen, all the fish would be showing signs. Are any of your other fish acting weird or abnormal? I would also check your parameters too.

I agree with this. My angel did the same when I first put it in and it had a lengthy drip acclimatisation period.

Like others said we really need your water parameters to be able to help further.

Temperature and water flow could be other factors to consider. It's most likely just trying to get used to its new environment.

Back
Top Bottom