Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Angelfish questions

Can I put small rasboras in a tank with a 3" angel or will the angel eat the rasboras?

And will the rasboras eat the angelfish's fins?

Long term, am hoping to add two discus, but need to get back from trip in January so I am here to change their water and tend to their needs.

30 gallon cycled tank with one angel at the moment.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedogfish View Post
Can I put small rasboras in a tank with a 3" angel or will the angel eat the rasboras?

And will the rasboras eat the angelfish's fins?

Long term, am hoping to add two discus, but need to get back from trip in January so I am here to change their water and tend to their needs.

30 gallon cycled tank with one angel at the moment.

Thanks
The first question is what type of Rasboras? Long skinny types will go down easy so I wouldn't recommend them. Triangular types like the Rasbora hets, I would use the larger Hets instead of smaller ones to remove the temptation. HOWEVER, If you have a larger Angel that is used to eating live foods and does chase other fish in the tank, I doubt you will have good success with this. Possibly, if the fish grew up on the tank with these smaller type fishes, it would have worked better.

Next concern is adding Discus to a 30 gal tank. Most people will tell you that it is too small of a tank. Plus, you really don't want to mix Angels and Discus as there is a bad history of Discus deaths from the feeding aggressiveness of Angelfish. Discus do better either by themselves or with other mild mannered fish (and in larger tanks).

Hope this helps

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com