Angelfish w/fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chval

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, my 10 Gal quarantine tank has finally cycled and the parameters are 0,0,0. Yes, even the nitrates.

I ordered some Gold Veil Tail Angelfish (4) and Panda Cory Cats (6) from Live Aquaria. On receipt two angels and two cories were DOA. Called and complained and "one time only" they reshipped the fish. Of course, I blamed it on their packaging. It was 7 degrees here in ND the morning I received them. Next morning three more cories were dead.

The next day (last Thursday) I received the replacement fish - packaged much better. Angels were fine but one Cory DOA. Other cory dead by the next morning - I think I give up on Panda's!

Anyway, I started noticing that one of the angels tail fin was getting smaller and smaller finally down to nothing. Poor thing died along with another. I hadn't seen any of the other picking on them but....

Last night, one of the remaining ones tail was also becoming ragged and sparse so I finally figured out that something else must be wrong. (Yes, I'm a little slow!) I did a 25% - 30% wc last night and again this morning. At noon I went to LFS and picked up Melafix (Hopefully not too late to save the remaining ones). From experience, can anyone tell me how long it takes to work? Provided they are still alive, I will add another dose tomorrow. Should I also do another wc? The bottle says to continue to dose for seven days, which I will do. But it also say to dose for three days, whenever you buy new fish or handle your old. Does anyone do this? I'm tempted to start especially with the death rate I'm having.

Anyway, would appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks
Connie

As long as your parameters are good you should see some improvement in about a week. You may have to use something stronger like maracyn. Is your tank planted? In a cycled tank you should have some nitrates showing. I don't dose any meds unless needed.

Back
Top Bottom