Angelfish with internal parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majbarsalona

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 4 days ago I noticed my angelfish had white poop but he was eating happily and acting fine so I thought nothing to worry about. Recently I noticed he hasn't eaten at the last feeding and I'm concerned it's an internal parasite. I'm not sure if he's acting weird or if I'm just acting like a concerned mother. He has no signs of bloating or red streaks. If he continues to not eat, what are my options to treat him?

Majbarsalona said:
About 4 days ago I noticed my angelfish had white poop but he was eating happily and acting fine so I thought nothing to worry about. Recently I noticed he hasn't eaten at the last feeding and I'm concerned it's an internal parasite. I'm not sure if he's acting weird or if I'm just acting like a concerned mother. He has no signs of bloating or red streaks. If he continues to not eat, what are my options to treat him?

I just dealt with the same issue. I would qt the fish in a desperate tank and treat with Tetra Parasite Guard. Worked like a charm on my angel. I did treatment for 4 days (4 total doses), but the usual dose is 2 days with a day in between each dose. The best part is, its cheap! I only paid like 6 bucks

Good luck!

Majbarsalona said:

Hi I had the same problem with dwarf puffer . I found the best is kusuri . Do a Internet search for it . it's safe for scaleless fish . Mix it in food ( blood worms work well )

Caroline79 said:
Hi I had the same problem with dwarf puffer . I found the best is kusuri . Do a Internet search for it . it's safe for scaleless fish . Mix it in food ( blood worms work well )

If he's eating, feeding the meds in his food would be good as sugested . But if he's not eating I wouldn't bother mixing it in his food

Plus, I recently stopped feeding blood worms because another user mentioned they are bad for the digestive system or something like that and may even cause fish to pick up parasites. I don't remember completely thogh . I wouldn't feed them.

George9 said:
If he's eating, feeding the meds in his food would be good as sugested . But if he's not eating I wouldn't bother mixing it in his food

Plus, I recently stopped feeding blood worms because another user mentioned they are bad for the digestive system or something like that and may even cause fish to pick up parasites. I don't remember completely thogh . I wouldn't feed them.

I'm going to try the medication but i dont really have a qt tank, I can scrap one together with a ten gallon and a power sponge filter, would that be okay?

Majbarsalona said:
I'm going to try the medication but i dont really have a qt tank, I can scrap one together with a ten gallon and a power sponge filter, would that be okay?

Yep that would be fine. Make sure you use some kind of established media so the tank will be cycled.

What size is your main tank

I have a 65 gallon, would I also be able to qt and treat my paradise fish as well considering I've been concerned of him being sick for some time now

Majbarsalona said:
I have a 65 gallon, would I also be able to qt and treat my paradise fish as well considering I've been concerned of him being sick for some time now

Do you think the paradise has parasites? If so, yes you can treat both at the same time.

George9 said:
Do you think the paradise has parasites? If so, yes you can treat both at the same time.

The paradise just seems very lethargic and always "sitting" on the ground, I believe he eats but besides getting air from the surface he doesn't swim around much

Majbarsalona said:
The paradise just seems very lethargic and always "sitting" on the ground, I believe he eats but besides getting air from the surface he doesn't swim around much
I guess it couldn't hurt to treat both then. Those are symptoms of internal problems. BUT I don't know, they might Kill each other together in a small tank

Majbarsalona said:
They have never shown any signs of aggression towards each other but I will definitely keep an eye on them, and how long should they be in qt

They haven't shown signs because its such a large tank. There's room for each to have their territory. When you confine them together in a small tank, it could get dicey.

Follow the instructions closely. Dose one tab, wait two days, then do a 25% pwc right before dose 2. You could go up to 4 doses, but do no more than 4

George9 said:
They haven't shown signs because its such a large tank. There's room for each to have their territory. When you confine them together in a small tank, it could get dicey.

Follow the instructions closely. Dose one tab, wait two days, then do a 25% pwc right before dose 2. You could go up to 4 doses, but do no more than 4

Yes that's very possible, thank you for informing me. Also thank you very much for all your help, I'll try to update this tomorrow when i set up the qt

Majbarsalona said:
Yes that's very possible, thank you for informing me. Also thank you very much for all your help, I'll try to update this tomorrow when i set up the qt

Good luck :)

Should I treat my whole tank or just the two fish separately? Also if one or two fish are sick does that mean the whole tank is infected with parasites?

Back
Top Bottom