!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AngelFishHelp!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My filter is as low flow as it can get

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well.that escalated quickly..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank not cycled? Shock to the system I suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Lol! All that while I typed a sentance!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Well.that escalated quickly..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sure did........ Better get your money back

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I used quick start a week ago and got rasboras. 2 died do I returned the rest and got Angels.

I have bolded your main problem in your post. Please read this article, it should help you understand what's going on. It sounds like your tank isn't cycled.

Helpful article link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

If your tank IS cycled, then it sounds like he was stressed by an outside factor and the move was just too much. These things happen sometimes. I had a seemingly perfectly healthy rainbow shark croak two days after I got him with no warning or explanation.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depending on your location and where the product was shipped from, it may have frozen during transport and is pretty much garbage by now. Your best bet is to follow what energizer said in the linked post. You also need an ADEQUATE test kit. Strips are considered useless and the 6 in 1 don't have the ammonia included. Your best bet right now is large volume WC's with conditioned water.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I have bolded your main problem in your post. Please read this article, it should help you understand what's going on. It sounds like your tank isn't cycled.

Helpful article link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

If your tank IS cycled, then it sounds like he was stressed by an outside factor and the move was just too much. These things happen sometimes. I had a seemingly perfectly healthy rainbow shark croak two days after I got him with no warning or explanation.

If my tank isn't cycled, then why is my other angel fine. And for getting new ones, how do I know if it is healthy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If my tank isn't cycled, then why is my other angel fine. And for getting new ones, how do I know if it is healthy?

Your tank still might not be cycled maybe the other angel is more tolerant. I would hold off another week before getting more fish

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

How large (gallons) is the tank? Have you tested for ammonia using a liquid test kit? Also, what are your nitrates in the tap water like? Just because all of your fish aren't dead yet doesn't mean the tank is adequately cycled-some fish are stronger than others. Quick start isn't a magic cycle in a bottle, and inconsistent is giving it and similar products too much credit.

That being said, when you buy fish from the store it can be difficult to determine health. Sometimes you end up with unhealthy fish because they are easier for the employee to net. It happens. But any fish that can't swim against the current of your filter output or gets stuck to the intake is in dire shape. Petco has a guarantee for fish if your tank is cycled, a water sample is required.

Last, do you know what the cycle is? Please don't feel insulted. Just checking.

gosh i hope the op doesnt take offense to these comments. i so wish i knew about this site when i first started out.. i was in a major mess. i didnt know about cycling, i was told i could add tropical and goldfish koi included in my 10 gal. oh what a mess it was. it took me 6 months and several angelfish, poor babies to be able to keep them alive. although i think most of them were due to the store because they all died in a few days and the next group i got most were survivors.. so to the op it takes a lot of times with angelfish, IME, they are fragile and need to get used to your water and grow a bit before you can feel at ease with them being ok.. all my experience here. im no expert.

gosh i hope the op doesnt take offense to these comments. i so wish i knew about this site when i first started out.. i was in a major mess. i didnt know about cycling, i was told i could add tropical and goldfish koi included in my 10 gal. oh what a mess it was. it took me 6 months and several angelfish, poor babies to be able to keep them alive. although i think most of them were due to the store because they all died in a few days and the next group i got most were survivors.. so to the op it takes a lot of times with angelfish, IME, they are fragile and need to get used to your water and grow a bit before you can feel at ease with them being ok.. all my experience here. im no expert.

Now now, all the responses I have read are (mostly) calm and offer sound advice. OP was freaking out, which isn't completely a bad thing because it shows OP cares for the fishs' well being. There had not been any posts belittling or accosting OP for what (on the surface) appears to be a very common mistake and a little bad luck.

How large (gallons) is the tank? Have you tested for ammonia using a liquid test kit? Also, what are your nitrates in the tap water like? Just because all of your fish aren't dead yet doesn't mean the tank is adequately cycled-some fish are stronger than others. Quick start isn't a magic cycle in a bottle, and inconsistent is giving it and similar products too much credit.

That being said, when you buy fish from the store it can be difficult to determine health. Sometimes you end up with unhealthy fish because they are easier for the employee to net. It happens. But any fish that can't swim against the current of your filter output or gets stuck to the intake is in dire shape. Petco has a guarantee for fish if your tank is cycled, a water sample is required.

Last, do you know what the cycle is? Please don't feel insulted. Just checking.

My tank is 36 gallons. I had petco do free water testings for me and they said all of my parameters were good.havnt tested tap for nitrites but it has a high ph. When getting the Angels, I picked out the most colorful and lively ones, but the fish guy gave me one lively one, and a faded, frayed fined, slowest swimming pale looking one(the one that died). I wanted him to net me a healthy one but he was grumpy and wouldn't let me.

My tank is 36 gallons. I had petco do free water testings for me and they said all of my parameters were good.havnt tested tap for nitrites but it has a high ph. When getting the Angels, I picked out the most colorful and lively ones, but the fish guy gave me one lively one, and a faded, frayed fined, slowest swimming pale looking one(the one that died). I wanted him to net me a healthy one but he was grumpy and wouldn't let me.

Your tap water has a high pH but your tank is 6.5? I highly recommend purchasing the API freshwater master test kit. Petco should carry it for about thirty dollars and it is considered to be the most accurate way to test.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle in aquariums?

I would've told the guy at the pet store to f*#% off and give me the fish I want or else I'm not buying.

Yep. You got ripped off there, then put the dying fish in an uncycled tank=dead fish. Rookie mistake, I've been there and still learning. I'd raise heck though at Petco.......that rhymed....sweet!

Your tap water has a high pH but your tank is 6.5? I highly recommend purchasing the API freshwater master test kit. Petco should carry it for about thirty dollars and it is considered to be the most accurate way to test.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle in aquariums?

I used oh down to lower it

Back
Top Bottom