Angelish tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilczechlady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have had an aquarium for at least 5 years now, finally added a pair of baby angels back in may and they're huge now. Seeing as I have experience with aquariums and many fish breeds (except cichlids) I was wondering what other dish anyone has had success point with angelfish (and that provide a balanced and pretty/colorful aquarium). Here are the specs:

Prolly 39? Gallon tank
2 Angels (at least 2.5" body diameters)
1 blue gorumie (3.5" long)
1 gold gourmie (~4" long)
3 neon tetras (have survived lol)
1 dwarf gourmie (2" long)
1 albino catfish (2" long)
1 general small catfish (2" long)

I'm wanting something more interesting than guppies, swordfish, mollies, etc. The Angels will probably make them a snack at some point (and frankly theyre kind of boring)

:welcome: to AA! :)
I was wondering what other dish anyone has had success point with angelfish
For a good dish to go with angels, I would recommend some Goldfish crackers :lol: ;)
IMO you need to fill out your school of neons or get rid of them. They may and could be snacks for you angels.
I would also suggest filling out your albino cory school, they like to be in groups of six.
What is your other catfish? Do you have a pic that we can try to ID him with?
Careful with the gouramis and the angels. It could lead to big aggression problems in the future, especially when the blue and gold gouramis are fuly grown.

The Angels def rule the tank right now, but the blue and gold gourmies have gotten to adult size (had them for a few years) but they hold they're own pretty well. The general catfish is the cordyeas or cordeaus one (spell check doesn't like fish apparently lol). I will be getting probably more of them or some other kind of catfish (I like to keep the one albino by himself bc it's ironic and cute). And i plan to re-school my neons asap

I understand my tank sounds quite hostile and I probably don't have the best fish matched up, but I have enough hiding areas and lot of plants for various fish to hide out in, plus I feed them often enough that the angels and the gourmies often ignore each other and don't go after the smaller fish. To put it in perspective, I had a red tailed black shark living in the tank for at least 6 years (till his age caught up with him). I kept him with gourmies, guppies, neons, and the Angels for a while..and generally there were minimal problems

I haven't re-schooled or bought new fish since may bc my parents take care of my fish while I'm away for college, needless to say my parents want to see "pretty" fish and don't always understand the concept of aggressive or tank-friendly species...which is why I'm asking for colorful probably smaller fish I could add in (bc I have so many huge ones)

Anglefish Tankmates

Have had an aquarium for at least 5 years now, finally added a pair of baby angels back in may and they're huge now. Seeing as I have experience with aquariums and many fish breeds (except cichlids) I was wondering what other dish anyone has had success point with angelfish (and that provide a balanced and pretty/colorful aquarium). Here are the specs:

Prolly 39? Gallon tank
2 Angels (at least 2.5" body diameters)
1 blue gorumie (3.5" long)
1 gold gourmie (~4" long)
3 neon tetras (have survived lol)
1 dwarf gourmie (2" long)
1 albino catfish (2" long)
1 general small catfish (2" long)

I'm wanting something more interesting than guppies, swordfish, mollies, etc. The Angels will probably make them a snack at some point (and frankly theyre kind of boring)

Hello Lil...

Never raised Angelfish, but my resident expert buddy who does, says your 39 G is maxed out with just the two Angels. He's not surprised your fish have grown so large, so fast. He's got a large tank and only keeps larger fish with his Angels.
He recommends not adding any more fish, because there's not enough room. You don't want to stress the two you have.

B

Back
Top Bottom