angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 6 juvi angel fish from the lfs. 1 blushing, 1 that apears to be albino, 1 that apears to be a black veil and the other 3 look like the wild caught although I am almost sure they are not I ll try to get some pics tomorrow. But my question is how to tell the sexes apart I have been told it cant be done. Thats why I bought 6 that way I would almost be sure to get a pair. But I was reading other posts in this fourm and people where sure they had female or male. So is there a way to tell them apart

This makes perfect sense to me. So I must wait for them to mature a bit and start to spawn to sex them. Thanks for the help yet again rich.

with angelfish, seeing a pair spawn doesnt always guarantee a pair, females are know to pair off, lay eggs, fan them to keep fungus from growing on them, clean over the eggs eating bad ones, keep other fish @ bay, then end up eating all their eggs cause they go bad, unfertilized eggs wont get anywhere...

i have a pair of koi angels that spawned once, got eggs on a silk sword, but they didnt get far after that, poss my catfish had a nice meal when i turned the lights off.. since then, they still act like a pair, but havent spawned.

I meant to actually watch them spawn. You can see who lays the eggs and who fertilizes the eggs. The breeding tubes are also different. I agree just seeing eggs only means you have at least one female. My two have only had free swimmers once. They usually destroys the eggs.

although they still have not spawned, i think (my pair at least) the male and female look slightly different. the one i believe to be the male has a more rounded forehead and more active in defending the sword plant they have been cleaning. the female is more flat in the forehead. maybe i am just seeing things and there is nothing to what i am saying. like i said they have been showing all the signs of wanting to spawn but have not done so yet.

i would get pics, but currently i am in day 2 of a 4 day blackout to kill blue-green algae!

How to tell if the eggs have been feritlized?

Hello,

My angel fish have been guarding over their eggs now for a day and 1/2. I'm not sure if the eggs were properly fertilized. How can you tell if the eggs are viable? The angels are still guarding them. They laid them on the one of the sword plants.

When do the eggs usually "hatch"?

I had no idea they would spawn so early. My angels are still very young just under a yr old.

Wanda

What color are the eggs? If they turn white they are not fertilized. They should hatch in 3 days depending on temperature.

Back
Top Bottom