Angels and stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm ready to add a couple of top-mid level additions to my 44g, tall corner tank. It's my planted tank.

Current occupants are my clown pleco and my 4 yoyo loaches. I was thinking that angels would be the best addition. My question is how many? I have read that it should either be 1 or more than 3. If it's more than 3, do I really have the space? And if I can only get 1, what else could I add at this swim level that would get along with the angel? I'm not really wanting to add gouramis as I already have a pearl in my 38g.

I have 3 in my 75 gallon without any problems. I will probably add more but I don't know why "more than 3" would be suggested. I had 2 originally and they didn't have any problems. They were relatively the same size though.

I would probably get one if I was you and add a couple GBRs or Gold rams. They get along great in my tank and are very colorful and fun to watch. You could also add a nice school of tetras or rasboras (like 6 of either).

The 3+ suggestion is based on whether or not you wish to have a pair form for breeding. If you aren't interested in breeding, having two is not a problem.

I keep a breeding pair in my 30 gallon. I had troubles with 3 in my 75 gallon. Once a pair forms, they REALLY don't like company. Without a pair bond, they don't really bother anyone though.

This leads to my next question...I'm not interested in breeding them, and I originally had thought of getting 2. What if they are both the same sex?

I have a tetra school in my 38g, so I'd like to stick with a few larger "showcase" type fish to round out the tank. GBR's/Angel sounds interesting although the tank is not densely planted which I thought GBR's preferred.

If they're the same sex they'll pretty much ignore each other. They really only get aggressive when they have a mate. Then they'll go after other angels or anything that looks like one. Usually they'll chase other fish away from their chosen 'spot', but they won't keep going after them and most fish just learn to leave the angels alone.

If you don't want to breed them, then just leave the eggs in the tank if/when a pair forms. It's highly unlikely they'll make it without a helping hand from you.

If they are both females, it's likely that one of them (or sometimes both, taking turns) will assume the 'role' of a male. Interesting to watch and relatively peaceful existence. I believe the males will simply ignore each other as Skymir says.

Once you commit to this arrangement, it will nearly impossible to change the dynamics as Angels just cannot tolerate a new invader Angel.

Back
Top Bottom