Angels and stuff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fry Baby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please forgive my naivety and bear in mind I’m nowhere near having anything live in my new tank yet, but I’m just throwing a question out there...

I’ve got a 117 gallon tank. 5ft x 5ft x 2ft

Would this work ..

2 platinum Pearl scale Veil Tail Angels.
7 Silver Dollars
30 Diamond Tetras
15 Juili Corys

I know the debate on Angels and Dollars. I’ve been doing some research and I had the following suggested to me:

Start with 15 adult Corys
Then add 5 juvenile Angels
Then add 7 Juvenile Silver Dollars
Then add 30 Diamond Tetras
Then remove Angels as necessary due to aggression until there’s 2 left

The Angelfish and Silver Dollars are the only substantial fish I like really for movement and aesthetic .. and Im trying to stick to a black, white, silver theme. I’d be prepared to have one or the other but ideally would like to at least try the mix of both as I’ve learned a lot of compatibility of any fish can be based on individuals, shoal numbers, tank size, set up, monitoring, introducing at the right order, removal as necessary etc.

Tank scape would be gravel, driftwood, caves, Anubias and Java Fern. Spacious for swimming but providing natural boundaries.

Thoughts please?

Great start! You’ve been through half the battle picking fish out and researching! In my many years of keeping angles and silver dollars in particular I have never had a problem with them together. But every fish is different! [emoji23] the first setup sounds good on paper for sure though. You have more than enough space for the fish that you’ve chosen which is good. A moderate bio load for a big tank is perfect, with the correct filtration it’ll be spotless! As far as the dollars and the angles, you should be fine. If the angels want to get territorial than they have 117 gallons to choose from, and there won’t be loss of life over territorial debates. The dollars will school around and swim laps while the angles float around and act like the boss (which they are in this tank). The corys would occasionally school but sometimes they like to wander which is fine! As far as order, I would do the tetras first, so they can find hiding spots and settle, the corys then so that all the small fish have a chance to grab spots and settle down. Honestly, I would add the silver dollars then, as they aren’t necessarily territorial but shy and need a good hiding spot. Lastly the angels go in not long after the dollars as they will assert dominance if they feel threatened and want territory. That way there’s way to many other fish and they have to deal with it as they school around the spot. So they can’t pick on one for the most part. Lastly for peace of mind, this advice was given through my own personal experience and that of friends. Fish are unpredictable and things happen, but this is what I would do In this particular situation. If anyone else wants to chime in feel free, and please fact check me so I don’t spread false info! (Some ideas will contradict as we have different experiences with different variables in the setup) Best of luck my friend and I hope I was of some help!

You’ve made my day!
The response and your experience are so reassuring. I’m going with your plan and I’ll play it by ear!

It definitely made more sense to me to add the Angels last! And who knows, if I really have got enough tank space to cope with a territorial pairing or two, then I may even be able to keep all 5 Angels!! But then I’d probably add 2 more Silver Dollars to make them feel more robust and secure and to deter bullying. As long as I had room for them all to swim and not stress each other, I’d be super happy with that set up!

Back
Top Bottom