angels eyes changed color!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 2 angelfish and ones eyes were red when I bought it and the others had no red at all. Then when I looked in the tank just now, the angel had no red in its eyes at all. What the heck? Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it? And what does it mean

From what I've read the dominant angelfish will get red eyes. So since it wasn't dominant in your tank it might have gone away. I'm not 100 percent on that its only what k remembered reading and it could be completely wrong

I have one with red eyes, I read that before angelfish were overbred for the commercial market they had red eyes, but it was eventually bred out of them. Supposedly it means they are higher quality but I don't know about that.

It's genetic. It is not a lost trait. Lot's of black and zebra angels get them. I can be a sign of good health, but not necessarily. It might become more noticeable as it grows.

I'm sure it wasn't how the light was catching them. I turned the tank light on and looked at both eyes

Fish color tends to fade when stressed so they are probably actually red. I javelin seen angels with red eyes b4

My zebra angel has bright orangish red eyes. (Urrr...as soon as my wife is off the computer I can upload some pix!) His eyes have never changed color but the black strips have almost completely disappeared at times. Not sure if it's from stress, aggression or defense but he usually changes color when I'm changing the water or feeding, or just looking at him up close.

Wow. My angel did it again. the red is gone from its eyes. It seems when I leave the light off for a while they change

I think I know what it is!!!! The pigments changing so that the eyes can be lighter, therefore more reflective, enabling the angel to see better in the dark bc the eye captures more light!!!!!

What do you think?

I'm pretty sure that's the reason. Bc when I turn off the tank light and leave my room light on. The eyes get lighter. And when I turn my room light off too. They get white. The black stripe disappears too.
I'm turning on the tank light to be sure each time.
I just read that they can change colors based on stress or mood but I'm sure this isn't bc of that bc they were referring to the body.and its body is staying the same color and shade. And this makes more sense to me. Its very interesting.

Am I the only one who's reAd that the dominant angelfish's eyes will turn red? Not that I think it's the absolute truth or anything I was just curious

Has anyone else noticed this with their angels yet? I'm going to get pictures tonight if it happens again.
I think that if it happens the same way then it would back up my claim.
Unless maybe it is bc of mood. And the less light the more relaxed/less stressed he becomes.

Great link! When I bought my angel the guy at the LFS told me he was a "Zebra Angel." when I opened the link I saw the Domestic Silver and was like "how'd they get a picture of my fish?"...glad to know what it REALLY is! LOL. thanks.

Attachments

• image-1544568737.jpg
    image-1544568737.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom