Angels in a 55-stocking/tank mate thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I've got 3 angels and a bn pleco currently in my 55g. Sand substrate, swords and anubias, plenty of driftwood. I started with 5 angels, one died of unknown cause, likely bullying, and the latest was definitely bullying. I'd like to replace the two that have died since the plants are grown up now and only 3 fish in this tank is boring. I don't really want schoolers and my water is too unstable for discus.

Other than 2 angels are there any other tank mates I could add? Preferably South American.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the same set up with 5 angels, and 9 corys. I recently added 4 males swordtails as dither fish and one female Endlers to supply live fry as a food source for the angels. It is now a busy tank and the angels are more focused on the livebearers than each other.

It sounds to me like you may have a pair of angles and the tank is big enough to let the lone guy avoid the pair. Also keep in mind that angels are cichlids and adding new folks to an established tank can be a problem.

Angels can be unpredictable. If you buy them as juveniles they may get along until they reach adulthood. Just make sure you have a out in case one is getting bullied. I have a beautiful marble angel, he can be the only angel in the tank. I got gave away my silver angel once they grew due to bullying. Sometimes they are hit or miss. My marble though probably can't be with anything other than my Bolivian Rams and angelicus loaches.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yah. Figured you knew sa/ca have the potential to be plant monsters? 8 Bolivian rams?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bolivian rams look like a potential winner. My third Angel is getting picked on the two that paired, but have only laid eggs once. He fights back and chases the smaller of the two, but eventually they both chase him off. I'm curious if introducing two larger angels would help solve the problem, or would that just make it worse?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do enjoy mine

Attachments

• 1472257603453.jpg
    1472257603453.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 1472257641281.jpg
    1472257641281.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 58
Of Bolivian? I have 3. Think you could do a pair minimum. One would probably be fine. I'd do a larger group to bring out the antics.

Back
Top Bottom