Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angels with danios

Have a feeling I already know the consensus. I was thinking about what I want in my sons 55gal. He loves his danios so the are a must. I am looking the add some tetras and there is a BN in there. Not sure what else as of yet, trying to keep an open mind.

Do you think the angels will be harassed too much by the danios?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiweeangel

Do you think the angels will be harassed too much by the danios?
I thnk you have it backwards. The question is will the angels harass the danios.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hhhhmmmm ok. What do you recommend. Do you think it's not likely/possible/probable that they can be happy together.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Hhhhmmmm ok. What do you recommend. Do you think it's not likely/possible/probable that they can be happy together.
Well, I am no expert on this subject, but I have a thread about stocking a 36 gallon tank and I was advised to have glofish with angels... glofish are danios, so I assume that it will work.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have giant danios in my 150 with two angels. They pretty much seem to ignore each other.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

there may be some ocassional minor nipping from both sides. But nothing relentless and too over harassing.
So it should be ok.
I have kept them together in the past.

Just make sure there are at least 6 danios and the angels have lots of space to lessen the aggression! Hence don't overstock your tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by meBNme
I have giant danios in my 150 with two angels. They pretty much seem to ignore each other.
Thats quite different, giant danios get big, so there is no way an angel could eat them. As for regular danios, a larger school would be good, and they have to get to around 2 inches. Angels dont like alot of activity, so if you added these danios, you couldnt add too much more the the middle section of the tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sweet! I really wanted them ever since we set the tank up an realize the wall paper in my sons room shows clouds behind the tank! There is also a huge castle in the tank so I think they would look awesome floating around it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Sweet! I really wanted them ever since we set the tank up an realize the wall paper in my sons room shows clouds behind the tank! There is also a huge castle in the tank so I think they would look awesome floating around it.
What is the stocking plan that you are considering so far?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I vote no for the regular zebra/leopard danios because either they will tick off the angel with their activity and the angel will eat them because he is annoyed with them (which is what happened to mine) or the danios are haters and nip at your angel.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think giant danios would be better too... were you planning on getting a pair of angels, or two of the same gender?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had not made up my mind about the angels yet so I have not even thought that far ahead. I guess a pair, but I don't know anything about breeding. What is best? m/m or f/f if not breeding?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

Angels arent going to eat zebra danios, where do you guys find this stuff? The danios might get nippy but keep a decent school to.help quell aggression.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
I vote no for the regular zebra/leopard danios because either they will tick off the angel with their activity and the angel will eat them because he is annoyed with them (which is what happened to mine) or the danios are haters and nip at your angel.
Have to agree with bruinsbro here, I know my angels don't like a lot of activity in their "zone", they tend to get pushy when bothered. But what about some rainbows for your son's room? They get pretty good sized and would do well in that tank and they also have peronality and come in great colors. Much success whatever you choose
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Angels arent going to eat zebra danios, where do you guys find this stuff? The danios might get nippy but keep a decent school to.help quell aggression.
Just personal experience. Tried keeping zebra danios with an angel in a thirty gallon...no danios in three days.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Just personal experience. Tried keeping zebra danios with an angel in a thirty gallon...no danios in three days.
Considering the size of adult zebra danios, if they don't work, then most community schoolers wouldn't work either. I've kept them together on a few occasions without any particular issue.

I've not had a problem keeping them with adult neons either, but I could see juveniles of any species getting eaten.

I have kept a ton of angelfish and I couldn't imagine not being able to stock 2" schoolers with them, so I guess that's where our opinions differ.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe that's where my problem was perhaps, these guys were still only a few months old with a full grown angel
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
come get me tang police!

or your angels are pure eeeebil.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahaha! Thanks guys. So what I'm hearing is they could work just make sure there are no juveniles in the tank........ Or try to pick up some non evil angels!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two large angels and a school of five giant danios in a 55 gallon and they ignore each other. I've also had a lone cherry barb in there for about a year and a half without a single problem. I just recently purchased 5 more of them and everyone seems to be getting along or minding their own buisness. I actually really love my danios, they are the life of the tank and provide a lot of flashy movement.

Tags
angel, angels, danio, danios

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com