Angry LFS Employee (Giving away my goldfish) (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
As a preface, this may be sort of a vent, infact this is a vent, but I mainly just want your opinions, I'm sort of at a loss as to how to feel about this.

OK, so, I've had this goldfish for a few years now. For about a year, he was by himself in my 30 gal. It was my dad's tank, prolly 12 year old tank, and I became interested in fish. Of course, this started because I so unknowingly braught home a tiger oscar.

The oscar and goldfish lived and coincided for about a month and a half, reasonably well. The goldfish was a tad bigger then the oscar. With the occasional territorial stare-down from the oscar, the goldfish suffered no physical harm.

That is until Ich broke out. My goldie and oscar both had it, none visible on pleco or either of my american killies. I began to use Quick Cure (Malachite Green) at half-dose on account of the pleco. After 4 weeks of that to no avail, I stopped that, and went with the heat method. I raised my temp up to ~88F. I left it there for about a week and a half. The oscars Ich left, but goldie still had some white spots. Oscar begins suffering from popeye at this point, and I use aquarium salt, with great results. (Am I using too many remedies?) But still, goldfish has ich.

The oscar recently out-grew the goldfish, and in turn the harrassment began to increase. I figured, the goldfish's ich wouldn't go away without the stress factor of the oscar and the high temperatures being releived of him.

I moved him to a large bowl with a few marbles and cloth plants he seemed to enjoy for privacy. Thoguh he didn't like the bowl much. He began not moving after the third day, and red viens and reddening of the gills began.

After the week's end, 7 days, I felt terrible. I didn't know what to do for him. Placing him in my 30 gal to face the tiger oscar and high temps, or keeping him in the bowl. I didn't know what to do.

Perhaps I got the wrong idea, but I thought, by reading stories on this and other forums, that one could donate a fish to a LFS no holds barred. At very least, for a more orthodox euthanization processes. Touchy subject, I know, but I didn't know what else to do...

Anyways, the lady at the store takes my fish out of his jar and tells me it's a very nice looking specimen, I felt sad. I then told her that I was pretty sure it had Ich, while she was holding it in the new bag.

She told me and my friend to leave her store. I didn't know how to really react. She seemed really mad, I asked her what was the matter. She said "You basically just gave me a dead fish. Thanks a lot." She insisted we leave. I was thinking of saying I wanted my fish back, if in order I could look around at their fish, but at this point, I was just sort of, dumbfounded. I asked her about euthanization, but I really know nothing of the subject... She said she'd be treating it and told me to leave.
We left.

So, I'm just wondering, was I really that out of my element? Was I being irresponsible? or was she just having a bad day?

I don't know... I didn't know what else to do for my goldfish. Thanks for reading if you're still there.

Um, without going in to too much detail she did just 'steal' your fish. Go back, immediately, and ask for it back. She has no right to take a fish off you that you own (would you steal someone's cat off them if it had fleas?). Ich is a common problem. I'm not sure how I'd treat a goldfish with that, but I certainly wouldn't accept having my fish taken off me by some jumped up LFS employee...

What a &!%C#. I can see why you are upset. I would go back immediatly and get the fish back too, she has no right to tell you to leave like that. She obviously doen't know how to treat ich. You could lways get a divider for your tank and put the goldfish on one side, the oscar on the other. Goldy may not like the heat but it is better than being in a bowl or at the horrible store. I'm not getting mad at you or anything for keeping it in a bowl, so don't take offesce to it. Well, i hope you can get the goldy back, good luck!

I dont blame you one bit got being upset. I too would go back if you can and get the goldie. This fish obviously means something to you. And she mentioned she's be "treating it" which means she knows that it can be treated for one....and she told you that you gave her a "dead fish" just so that you would go away and not ask her any more about it. That is of course my opinion but some people are just "jerks".

I think a divider in your tank would work well to sheil goldie from oscar. And I doubt you will find anyone here who isn't at least a little sentimental about fish, we totally understand.

Try to get goldie back. We are rooing for you!
Good Luck!

Why go back and get it?

Wasn't the point of bringing the fish to the LFS to give away? Whats being given away can't be stolen.

I agree she was a This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. about it though...

i'd talk to her, (or maybe another employee) and ask them if they still want the fish. i agree to the fact how she kinda went off like that, i mean you dont walk into an elevator and slap a total stranger. if she wasnt the boss, i'd ask to speak to the manager

IceH2O, the problem is that the fish wasn't firmly given away. The way I see it, is this: a customer comes in to the store with a fish that has ich. He doesn't know how to treat it, and wants only the best for his fish. The LFS employee took the fish, and threw out the customers, instead of offering advice first. She clearly knew that the customer was unsure about what to do, and even if he said "I don't want it anymore", if I was her I would have said "are you sure? You can treat this you know, all you need to do is..." etc. Instead she took it off them, threw them out, will treat the ich and no doubt sell this 'fine specimen' on afterwards.

Unscrupulous if you ask me. She took advantage of a customer's confusion and lack of info.

I agree that what was done was clearly unprofessional on the employee's part. It is not their place to take your fish and basically toss you out of the store.

You have options:

Go to the store, inform the owners of what happened. Based on their response, you will know whether to give this establishment any future business. If it turns out negatively, you can also report them to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or Consumer Affairs.

Like everyone else said, definately bring this to the attention of the stores upper management or owners. The health of the fish aside, that is a business and should be run with the focus on the customers needs, not the feelings of some overzealous employee. I'm sure any of a number of people would be willing to look into this employees behavior. Good Luck!

I think the fish is better off not being in your bowl. A large goldfish should have a pond. The fish would probably have died of stress related causes anyway. Maybe the lady at the store will treat it. IMHO, an oscar really doesn't belong in a 30gallon tank either. Its way too small.

Thank you for your replies, I've began to feel better about the situation. Well, better, in the sense that I was, hopefully, not out of place, and that the employee was to blame.

But, I don't think I'll return to get my goldfish, as this was yesterday, and hopefully they'll be able to cure it.

I'm not sure if I'll return there. I was even filling out an application before I went there. Good thing I didn't finish that.

I know eventually I'll end up going back there. and hopefully they won't give me any crap. But the devil inside me wants them to bring it up again, so then I could feel more justified stealing some nice fish food or plants :roll:

And about the oscar - don't worry; I'm upgrading to a 55 or 75 this holiday season. And as of now he's only about 2 inches.

hold on, your oscar is only 2 inches? didnt you say your oscar was getting bigger than your goldfish?

please tell me the goldfish was a fancy, or a comet, or something else, but not a common

Fancies really are the only type of goldfish appropriate for an average aquarist. Comets and commons get WAY too big. Those should be kept in ponds.

I don't think you should return to the store and get it (BTW what that lady did was wrong and unprofessional). Oscars and goldfish don't mix. Goldfish are coldwater fish and oscars are tropical fish. And IMO, a 75 gal is minimum for one oscar...a 125 gal for two. Also, bowls are unsuitable for goldfish...alot of people keep them in bowls though. Goldies get big (smallest type grows to 8") and they are messy.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm reprimanding you, I'm just trying to help. I understand you try to do what's best for your fish and thats all that matters.

ohh of course blazeherd, i know were your coming from, i had goldfish for 11 years, they were like .08 cent feeders, what i was indirectly saying was:
what tank do you think they put a inch long goldfish? the feeder tank, go back and get your fish before they toss him in the feeder tank!

The way I read the post:

Perhaps I got the wrong idea, but I thought, by reading stories on this and other forums, that one could donate a fish to a LFS no holds barred. At very least, for a more orthodox euthanization processes. Touchy subject, I know, but I didn't know what else to do...

Made me think the fish was brought there to be given away. Not to be looked at for ich diagnosis.

i dont know what happened here. i work at petco "animals always come first" when someone doesnt want their fish anymore, we take them and put them in our 75 gallon plant tank, and adopt them out for free, we are not allowed to sell them for profit, plus that would cause us to have positive shrink.

i have refused to sell customers fish several times, because i felt that they were incompetent, and it would only end in the fishes demise.

if this was a petco, the employee has the right to refuse to give the fish back after custody has been transferred to the store.

DepotFish said:
You've had the fish for years and its only an inch?

no my fish got 11"

what im saying is, what do you think the angry lfs people are gonna do with a 1" common goldfish. sorry about the confusion

hc8719, If the original poster goes back and gets the fish, where will he/she put it? The oscar tank is out of the question and the goldfish bowl is definately not an option.

But hey, a 240+ gal aquarium will work if the op really wants the fish back. Either that or a pond.

I don't think anyone, hc8719 included, actually suggested that the goldie was better off back with the owner. Just, from a moral customer service ethos point of view the employee was out of line dealing with the situation the way she did. At no stage did she spell out what was going to happen or reaffirm the customer's understood intent (i.e. "are you sure about that?" "you want us to take it from you?", etc. etc.). I think more staff training is an issue there...

Having said that, if I had a goldie for years and only just got the oscar I'd return the oscar and want my goldie back even if I then wasn't able to treat it (I'd be asking for advice on that btw - this is all hypothetical, "if it was me" etc.)...

Back
Top Bottom