Animal hospital?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I took a trip to my local petsmart today to pick up some crickets. Lately I've been very uninterested in my fish tank :( so I figured looking at all the fish might kick start my addiction again. I looked at the German blue rams and they were all little juvies. I saw one poor fella in the back of the tank who looked like he wasn't going to make it. I asked the lady there if she would donate it to me so I could try to save him but she said that she couldn't and didn't want to give my other fish diseases. That's when I got a good idea. I wanna set up another tank, and basically rescue sick fish and try to get them to recover and then either sell them or return them back to the store. I have a lot of questions for you guys :)

First off, I have a ten gal tank with two fire bellied toads. Lately I haven't had a lot of time to buy food for them and I feel bad, so I would like to rehome them. How would I go about doing that? Would petsmart take them or would I need to find somebody?

If I do get rid of them, should I use the ten gal for the sick fish? Or should I see if petco still has the dollar per gallon sale and buy a 20 gal?

I have aquarium salt, fungus and ich meds, and I know I'll need a heater. But do I need anything else?

If anyone has had any experience doing this, any advice would be nice :)

That's such a lovely idea Shows great character and compassion :) Can you advertise the toads on a local classifieds site? It would always be best and you might feel better knowing they go to a decent home? That's just what I would do I can't seem to bring myself to return fish back to the store I always wonder what home they'll go to so I make it my mission to find them a good home :) (when I've made stocking mistakes that is) If you get the 20g you'd have more room for the sick fishies and you could also do a fb page or something similar advertising what your doing when you get it up and running and advertise the fish you have in quarantine and when they are ready healthy and up for sale. Im sure lots of fish lover would support a fish rescue mission hehe :) I don't know it's just an idea I don't know if it's any good to you though

_skyla_ said:
That's such a lovely idea Shows great character and compassion :) Can you advertise the toads on a local classifieds site? It would always be best and you might feel better knowing they go to a decent home? That's just what I would do I can't seem to bring myself to return fish back to the store I always wonder what home they'll go to so I make it my mission to find them a good home :) (when I've made stocking mistakes that is) If you get the 20g you'd have more room for the sick fishies and you could also do a fb page or something similar advertising what your doing when you get it up and running and advertise the fish you have in quarantine and when they are ready healthy and up for sale. Im sure lots of fish lover would support a fish rescue mission hehe :) I don't know it's just an idea I don't know if it's any good to you though

Thanks a lot :) and i want to give the toads to someone trustworthy but I don't want to deal with shipping because I don't have any experience with it. And idk anyone who would want them locally

I was also just planning on doing one or maybe two fish at a time max. Would the ten still be good for that? Or do u think I need a 20?

Should I use any substrate?

I was thinking about getting maybe 2 cories to keep it clean, good idea?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Thanks a lot :) and i want to give the toads to someone trustworthy but I don't want to deal with shipping because I don't have any experience with it. And idk anyone who would want them locally

I was also just planning on doing one or maybe two fish at a time max. Would the ten still be good for that? Or do u think I need a 20?

Should I use any substrate?

I was thinking about getting maybe 2 cories to keep it clean, good idea?

I would get a twenty and rehome your frogs so you have a ten and a twenty
No substrate- daily WCs
Remember to cycle!
No cories, they may catch whatever the fish have
Just bare tanks, but you will always have to have fish in them to keep them cycled
With two tanks you can have fish with two different diseases. Also one for injured fish then one for sick fish
Rehome or give to a LFS- dont give them back to petsmart- they may get sick again or sold to someone with a tiny tank
Not that it isn't possible if you give them to a LFS
You'll need-
A separate siphon
STRONG filters
Heaters
Airpump and multiple large airstones
Meds- lots of meds
Thermometers
Nets- 2 or more separate nets
Prime
Lots of weighted fake plants and some open rock decor for hiding in

emerald76 said:
I would get a twenty and rehome your frogs so you have a ten and a twenty
No substrate- daily WCs
Remember to cycle!
No cories, they may catch whatever the fish have
Just bare tanks, but you will always have to have fish in them to keep them cycled
With two tanks you can have fish with two different diseases. Also one for injured fish then one for sick fish
Rehome or give to a LFS- dont give them back to petsmart- they may get sick again or sold to someone with a tiny tank
Not that it isn't possible if you give them to a LFS
You'll need-
A separate siphon
STRONG filters
Heaters
Airpump and multiple large airstones
Meds- lots of meds
Thermometers
Nets- 2 or more separate nets
Prime
Lots of weighted fake plants and some open rock decor for hiding in

Alright, I got the syphon, a filter, meds, thermometer, 2 nets, prime, and decor.

I need a heater and air pump

Good point with the cories, didn't think about that.

How long can I have a tank with no fish I it before it looses it's cycle?

And how should I rehome the fish?

Thanks for the help.

I would give them to your LFS for free or set up a site to rehome them on. I don't know about the cycling thing-maybe a few days?

If you can't get it for free, don't bother. "Rescuing" fish is a bad habit that people tend to do. They think they are helping the fish when in fact they are rewarding the business for keeping it like that. Even if you get it for reduced price, you are still offsetting the losses of a dead/dying fish. They'll just buy more fish and the cycle repeats. It sucks, but the best thing you can do is ignore them and let them die. Doing so hits the stores where it matters: the the wallet.

If you can't get it for free, don't bother. "Rescuing" fish is a bad habit that people tend to do. They think they are helping the fish when in fact they are rewarding the business for keeping it like that. Even if you get it for reduced price, you are still offsetting the losses of a dead/dying fish. They'll just buy more fish and the cycle repeats. It sucks, but the best thing you can do is ignore them and let them die. Doing so hits the stores where it matters: the the wallet.

I agree with this because the logic is sound, but sometimes it is hard to ignore the fish or animal that is suffering before you. I think Aqua is right, you don't want to reward a store for their bad practices, but I think your idea shows compassion to an animal that has been mistreated for this hobby for decades.

So what if I were to rehome them to people on this site? I can put up a classifieds and I'm sure shipping can't be too hard to figure out, my mom does it a lot. Would that be alright? Cause I was really lookin forward to doing this.

Back
Top Bottom