Annu Annu (or Anu Anu)????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at a LFS that I had never been to before, and they had a fish in one tank which was labeled "Annu Annu", and another of the exact same fish in another tank called "Anu Anu" - I assume one of them is spelled wrong. I tried looking this fish up on the internet and found nothing searching for either of those 2 names.

Both fish were very cigar-shaped fish, and striped, but definitely NOT a Banded Leporinus...at least I don't think so. (In fact, I think the stripes might have been running length-wise where on a Leporinus they are vertical.)

Anyone have any ideas?

We may need Fruitbat for this!

Can you tell us anything else about the fish? Was it in a tank with other fish? Was it in the aggressive section, or docile section? Did the tag on the tank say how big it would get?

Menagerie said:
We may need Fruitbat for this!

Can you tell us anything else about the fish? Was it in a tank with other fish? Was it in the aggressive section, or docile section? Did the tag on the tank say how big it would get?

Both of them were actually in tanks with Gouramis so I can't imagine that it's a super aggressive fish...or at least not any more aggressive than Gouramis. This store doesn't have any details on their labels - just the name and the price. This was a Mom & Pop store, and the owner was wrapped up with a couple of customers so I figured I'd just look it up when I got home. But now I'm home and I found nothing which is weird.

It wasn't a Cichlid, although it was sort of similar to a Julie in shape, but not nearly as small as a juvenile Julie. Assuming this fish was, in fact, a juvenile, it was already about 2-1/2" long.

Hmmm, Julidochromis regani can get quite large.
The only cigar, striped fishes I can think of are the Julidochromis ornatus, Julidochromis marlieri (more check board pattern), Julidochromis dickfeldi, Julidochromis transcriptus.
What color was the fish?

Now that I see what SC wrote, I like his idea.

YES! That's it! It's an Anno Anno, not an Annu Annu! Thank you so much.

It's a cool fish. In the brief moment that I was watching them in the store they had a very unusual swimming motion - hard for me to decribe without seeing it yourself.

LiveAquaria.com says "semi-aggressive." Is this fish much of a fin-nipper? The tank I have some room for him contains a gourami, two Blue Rams and 5 Black Phantom Tetras.

um mit was nipping a few of my fish i think but nothin bad. it chased them around. It has stopped now and it basically stays in its cave durring the day. I know what u mean about the swimming its kind of weird. Mine also eats from the ground but the way its mouth its it like flips itself upside down. Its a pretty interesting fish.i have a dwarf gourmai in my tank and i ahve never noitced it bothering it.

wilson said:
...I know what u mean about the swimming its kind of weird...

Thanks Wilson. I might give this fish a try.

It kind of moved about like a submarine...that's how I decided would best describe it, which I guess makes sense since it pretty much shaped like a submarine.

Back
Top Bottom