Anorexic zebra danio laying at the bottom of the tabk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joidevive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 zebra danio, and one has been lying at the bottom of the tank. It still comes up to eat when I feed them though. I noticed that as days go by it gets skinnier and it looks anorexic. Now it’s not moving at all. I’m scared it’s going to die. What is wrong with it? Is there an infection?

There are so many bacterial, parasitic and fungal infections that inflict tropical fish i couldn't keep count. Not to mention "new tank syndrome ", "old tank syndrome ", ph and temperature shock, stress from tank mates, etc. Prob 3/4's of the illnesses it's virtually impossible to accurately diagnose. I'm sorry your poor little danio is doing poorly, I would firstly make sure my water parameters are good, then make sure it's not being bullied by tank mates, then if you wanted you could treat with antibiotics

This topic has been brought up quite often in the fish forums. The general consensus is that
Zebra Danios are a mass produced fish, with little attention paid towards quality breeding practices, leading to poor genetics, more susceptible to disease.
When I was a kid, Zebra Danios were almost indestructible. Lol. Not so much nowadays.
If the Danio is "Wasting" the problem is likely some sort of intestinal parasite. If he is bloating, likely an intestinal bacteria infection.
Either way really nothing can be done.
If it's obvious the Danio is a goner, best to pull him out asap. Disease can easily be spread if tankmates are allowed to nibble on an infected corpse.

Back
Top Bottom