Another Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfcent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of doing a fishless cycle on my 33 gal. tank. After four days of having started I went to my local LFS and scrounged some gravel and about a 1/2 gal of nice dirty gravel water. I dumped the whole works into my tank, waited about 20 minutes or so and did a test. Prior to the dumping I had readings of 4.0 pmm ammonia and 0.0 nitrites. Now the reading are down to 2.0 ppm ammonia and the nitrites are up between 2.0 & 5.0 pmm, hard to tell.. I even have 5.0 ppm nitrates showing up. That must have been good stuff, do you think it will last.

halfcent said:
I am in the process of doing a fishless cycle on my 33 gal. tank. After four days of having started I went to my local LFS and scrounged some gravel and about a 1/2 gal of nice dirty gravel water. I dumped the whole works into my tank, waited about 20 minutes or so and did a test. Prior to the dumping I had readings of 4.0 pmm ammonia and 0.0 nitrites. Now the reading are down to 2.0 ppm ammonia and the nitrites are up between 2.0 & 5.0 pmm, hard to tell.. I even have 5.0 ppm nitrates showing up. That must have been good stuff, do you think it will last.

I don't think that will last, hard to tell why the ammonia drop, but at least adding gravel from a established tank definitely will help.

Back
Top Bottom