Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

another tank... pretty unique

check it out,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have never seen one like this, kinda cute. Wish I had someplace that it fit the Decor, maybe my daughters room thats full of dolphins.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

haha looks cool

Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It does look cute.
Probably wouldn't be too hard too build one either.
I am surprised more of these are not sold. Maybe an idea for a new business: tank-cosies.
Did anyone else here see the aquarium in the Volkswagen (or maybe it was a Ford Focus) at the London Aquarium? Jeff
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am surprised more of these are not sold. Maybe an idea for a new business: tank-cosies.
I am GLAD more of this type of thing is not sold. Regular people have a hard enough time keeping a tank healthy as it is, even in an easily accessed, easily clean square glass aquarium.

The last thing we need is people going out and buying aquariums that are hard to clean, have tight fitting lids, no place for filtration, crappy lighting, and covered in paint. Not to mention the best place to put a treasure chest is usually on the floor...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Jeff
Maybe an idea for a new business: tank-cosies.
Jeff

hehe... and next, hand knit earmuffs for your fish on those cold chilly nights when the power goes out!!

ya know I really need to block EBAY from my computer... Im ALMOST thinking about bidding on this. I think my hubby will kill me tho... I just hate to pay the shipping.. but geesh its cute... put a whole bunch of the kids play jewlery in it for "jewels" or what about a Jewel Cichlid??? hehe (dont know how big they get off the top of my head...) and the lid looks like it fits pretty tight so filtration my be an issue...
I see a new Betta tank....
ack!!! I have house work to do!!! BYE!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[quote="grimlock3000"]
Quote:
Not to mention the best place to put a treasure chest is usually on the floor...

or what about the bank???
Old 10-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I love this sort of aquarium folk-art/kitsch...I would buy it if I did not have to consider the shipping, which would be pretty ugly, I suspect.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The glass is broken to! *NEVER* considering buying an aquarium with previously broken and replaired glass, unless you intend to replace the entire pane.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 10-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see myself bidding on this in a couple days.

I was thinking about the crack, and Im thinking probably removing all old silcone and reseal. WCS, replacing the pane of glass, doesnt look hard,

a bubble filter, heater, and a small light. This would be awsome in my daughters room. Her room is ocean blue with dolphins, fish & sea turtles...

Im thinking a betta tank.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I'd just take the idea and build something myself. With a little thought and effort you could build something that looks just as nice, would be safer, and might be more functional. And building it yourself you can make it as big or as small a tank as you'd like and you could make it a permanent fixture or just a case that slides on and off. I'd have the top of the chest hinged... there are probably a huge number of different ways it could be done... If you did consider trying something like that yourself you might post in the DIY section, someone there might even help with design. Being a husband I must say that his thoughts are important too...
Old 10-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I see myself bidding on this in a couple days.

I was thinking about the crack, and Im thinking probably removing all old silcone and reseal. WCS, replacing the pane of glass, doesnt look hard,
You may be underestimate the time and effort it would require to take apart the treasure chest, and the tank inside of it, scrape off the silicone, clean everything else, get a new piece of glass cut, and rebuild it all with new seals to make it fish safe... This is presuming the glass and the wood will even come apart. You should just build one from scratch yourself. Making a treasure chest that holds a 5g or a 10g tank would be faily simple, and a good learning experience, and much less problematic than this.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 10-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Resealing a small tank is not worth the effort.
I agree with Millipede - this is something that you could do yourself with 1/4 inch thick plywood - if you own a jigsaw or a scroll saw.
You could paint or stain it, and decorate it however you saw fit (I'm thinking sea shells glued onto it just like you would see barnacles attached to a real treasure chest).
The top could be made quite easily out of a tambour panel (the roll-top part of a roll-top desk) fitted over solid wood sides that would provide the characteristic treasure chest hump. The top could be hinged and made to fit over the existing filtration and lighting - like a canopy.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
That tank looks cool.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ARGH!!! Im so torn...

between grimlock & QTOFFER they have over 2,000 posts and you dont have numbers like that when you dont know what your talking about... so I value their opinion.... BUT..... one more thing to make.... do you guys have ANY idea how many open projects I have going on....
ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I know I COULD make one, its just finding the time. ahhh....but winter is almost here, no more softball, no more cheerleading... hmmmm let me think aobut this one... and Grimlock & QTOFFER, when Im stuck on something, you two have to bail me out.... K????
Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 AM   #15
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
ARGH!!! Im so torn...

between grimlock & QTOFFER they have over 2,000 posts and you dont have numbers like that when you dont know what your talking about...
OK I agree that these chaps are knowledgeable, but never confuse post counts with knowledge...there are plenty of chatty idiots, as well as plenty of brilliant mutes out there.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I will weigh in as a chatty idiot on this one:
Go for it! I would not replace the glass. If it holds water, leave well enough alone. My husband has a "patched"tank since before I knew him, it has traveled well and is currently serving as our BW tank. Since the tank glass is trapazoidal, it made be hard to replace. Where does one get special aquarium galss?
Depending on shipping, it may be worth it!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:15 AM   #17
God of primitive fishes

A similar, cool tank I spotted on eBay awhile back, and one I am determined to replicate:
Old 10-07-2004, 04:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

omg, i can image those tank are hard to clean.... I second build your own as some practical issue eg cleaning, fllter, lighting can be consider b4 building 1.

imho, the 1st tank is only good for Qtank...

HTH
Old 10-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Toirtis,
I WANT that tank!!!! 8O

hmmmm.....I don't the first thing about building one.... sigh
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im thinking maybe DIY,
But Im not understanding why everyone thinks they are so hard to clean. Do you know something about them that I dont?? As far as I can tell you lift off the hood and theres the tank... Kinda like the set up we have now.... maybe Im missing something...???

I do like the idea of building my own for the filtration & lighting... (not real big on bubble filters)

And Toirtis- I like that one MUCH better... I like the little portholes on the side

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com