Another tank stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitedeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am sorry for asking so many questions.. I was given a 36 gallon tank from a friend who was moving away and couldn't keep it...(you know how the story goes) he only had one fish in it, a pearl gourami and I was wondering what could go with it. Would rams work? I was considering these because they are peaceful...but what other fish could I add?

Don't worry, stocking is the most fun and confusing part of a tank, IMO. So the more questions you ask the more likely you are to get it right;)

You probably could get a ram or two (wait for others, because it's been some time since I've done this whole stocking thing from scratch!) you could also get a nice school of fish (smaller tetras or barbs) and some bottom feeders like cories or loaches.

Any community fish can go with a pearl gourami. They are a great centerpiece! I wouldn't add any rams until the tank is at least 6 month old. They need a good stable tank or they will not survive. How about getting a school of small tetras, and cories. 8 rummynose tetras, and 8 panda cories would be great. Then when everything is stable and you have everything going nice nice get a couple of rams. You could even go with another medium sized fish like an angel, or keyhole cichlid.

I am sorry for asking so many questions.. I was given a 36 gallon tank from a friend who was moving away and couldn't keep it...(you know how the story goes) he only had one fish in it, a pearl gourami and I was wondering what could go with it. Would rams work? I was considering these because they are peaceful...but what other fish could I add?

If it were my tank this is what I would do:
7 rummy nose tetras
7 harlequin rasboras
5 panda Cory's
1 pearl gourami
1 long finned albino bn pleco
1 or a pair of rams of choice

If that is under stocked just add to the schools/ If it's overstocked then take away from the schools!!!

I think it's better to have fewer larger schools rather than more smaller schools because fish are more comfortable and display more natural behavior in larger schools. Also beware of the BN pleco, they are pooping machines. I have one full grown in my 36g and she produces an enormous amount of waste.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I truly know what I'm going to do now! :thanks:

Well i went to my pet store and they said that they only carried Bolivian rams..which is fine. But then they said they are super aggressive to any bottom feeder when they breed ( I was planning on getting 2). I was skeptical about this because many other people say they are peaceful.

Usually they only carry males, because the females aren't very pretty. But if your nervous just get one. Still so good fish by itself.

Back
Top Bottom