Another thread about Rainbow Shark Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wouldn't post about this if I could find answers, but, when scouring the interwebs I just can't find good enough answers.

I have a 55g tank with a green severum who is about 5 inches..so not very big yet. The rainbow shark is in there as well and he is about 5 inches as well.

It is my plan to upgrade the tank or get another one once the severum starts getting too big. In the mean time, I wanted to get another SA Cichlid in there with them so I got a Firemouth. (about 2.5 inches)

I rearranged all of the wood and created an entirely new layout as to let them choose their new territories. The rainbow shark WILL NOT leave the firemouth alone. No matter which territory/part of the tank he is in. The shark just follows him around everywhere flexing his muscle! The firemouth cowers in fear.

Is there anything I should do? Should I just wait it out?

How long has the firemouth been in the tank? Is the rainbow shark causing injury to it? Is the new fish still eating?

I kept a rainbow shark with a firemouth and a severum for years, but the shark was added after the cichlids (and the cichlids were already much larger than the shark). Mine never caused any trouble so I must have had kind of a mellow one.

Firemouth has been in there for 2 days and is about half the size of the shark.
I don't know what to do because the shark is relentless. The firemouth is clearly and visibily submissive, yet the shark keeps at it.
If they were just establishling a hierarchy the shark would get the hint...right?

Do you have another tank that you could move that FM into so you can grow it out for a bit? That's probably what I would do, but I have a lot of tanks and I know that most other people are more limited in tank space, lol.

**** i really hate those red tailed sharks and black sharks they are really annoying fish because they will eventually pick on a fish if it smaller than sometimes even bigger. i had one red tailed shark and a black shark and they both picked which fish to chase and it were twice there size. i eventually gave them to the pet store. i think you should too before they do more damage than now. also my lima shovelnose that was 14 inches was killed by my black shark which only 4 inches. so unless you really love that fish, i would get rid of it

Yeah severum mama I think that may be my best choice. Let it grow for a little while in another tank until he gets the size and brass to defend himself. I really do love the rainbow shark, he's one of my oldest fish. :-( It's sad to see that.
I have noticed that this morning, the chasing wasn't as constant as it had been. Maybe that's a good sign?

Back
Top Bottom