Any aquarium decorating gurus here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading this post I decided to go out in my backyard in search of a nice piece of driftwood for my tank.....lol. Found a nice one and have it boiling! I also wanted to share an idea that we and my fish have enjoyed. It's kinda corny but makes things interesting. I had a couple of plastics plants in the tank that ended up coming unglued from there base. Now, with the current from my powered, they get caught in the current over in one corner and just sit there twisting and turning, and bouncing up and down. It brings a lot of life to the tank and the fish actually love it. Keeps it so interesting I have left it that way. Occasionally I'll adjust the power head to create a new current just to change things up? They just dance around in the tank.

After reading this post I decided to go out in my backyard in search of a nice piece of driftwood for my tank.....lol. Found a nice one and have it boiling! I also wanted to share an idea that we and my fish have enjoyed. It's kinda corny but makes things interesting. I had a couple of plastics plants in the tank that ended up coming unglued from there base. Now, with the current from my powered, they get caught in the current over in one corner and just sit there twisting and turning, and bouncing up and down. It brings a lot of life to the tank and the fish actually love it. Keeps it so interesting I have left it that way. Occasionally I'll adjust the power head to create a new current just to change things up? They just dance around in the tank.

I'm guessing you live by a river. If you've got some nice pieces, Start selling!

My backyard is an alley in Hollywood, CA. I've looked, but no luck. The Los Angeles river has zero driftwood (it's made of cement).

I'm almost surrounded by water. We pile the driftwood up and burn it when we get enough lol. Wonder how much I can sell it for. No but all the driftwood that piles up here is died out floating pieces

I'm almost surrounded by water. We pile the driftwood up and burn it when we get enough lol. Wonder how much I can sell it for. No but all the driftwood that piles up here is died out floating pieces

Just look on eBay. You could make a killing if they are nice pc's

Great ideas and love that 10 gallon garden tank! WOW! I'm lucky enough to live approx. 90 miles from Quartzite, Arizona where every Jan/Feb they have a huge Gem & Mineral show where any mineral known to man can be bought at great prices. I have a huge cluster of Smokey Quartz in one of my tanks and a cluster of Clear Quartz points in the other. Sometimes I buy for local dealers for discount and to pay for my own costs. Can't wait to go this year. I will try to get some photos soon but my tanks are just being set up. I will share my booty haul if I get some nice pieces.Quartzsite, Arizona Rocks and Minerals Show and Sale

kdklovesfish said:
Oh and I love red cherries too!! They seem to be hearty lil buggers. I've had mine through all the growing stages and not only have they survived, but they have bred. Now that I'm not so new anymore I paid the extra cash for the yellow ones. They arrive next week. I've heard they will breed with the regular cherries, so I might end up with orange babies! ;) Good luck with whatever kind you choose... Even the $.35 ghosts are cool!!

I love ghost shrimp but I have the hardest time keeping very many alive:( I don't know why. I have rcs and similar shrimp too and those buggers are thriving! I have babies all the time

I will soon. It has been raining nonstop for 2 days and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. Its flooding so I bet there is going to be tons washing up I live in middle Tennessee

If you feel really artistic you could get some paint and design your own background. It could take a while but it would look awesome. I think a brick and a couple of plants even if they are small.

Well after participating in this post I got excited to try some driftwood in my tank. Went out and found a nice piece in the backyard last night and boiled it. Finished putting it in this afternoon and rearranged the rocks quite a bit. Here are some before and after shots:

Attachments

• image-1354300392.jpg
    image-1354300392.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3581623486.jpg
    image-3581623486.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 75
  • image-539200976.jpg
    image-539200976.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-4283207287.jpg
    image-4283207287.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2513293192.jpg
    image-2513293192.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3136975541.jpg
    image-3136975541.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2576187026.jpg
    image-2576187026.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 83
Great ideas and love that 10 gallon garden tank! WOW! I'm lucky enough to live approx. 90 miles from Quartzite, Arizona where every Jan/Feb they have a huge Gem & Mineral show where any mineral known to man can be bought at great prices. I have a huge cluster of Smokey Quartz in one of my tanks and a cluster of Clear Quartz points in the other. Sometimes I buy for local dealers for discount and to pay for my own costs. Can't wait to go this year. I will try to get some photos soon but my tanks are just being set up. I will share my booty haul if I get some nice pieces.Quartzsite, Arizona Rocks and Minerals Show and Sale

Great idea!!

If you feel really artistic you could get some paint and design your own background. It could take a while but it would look awesome. I think a brick and a couple of plants even if they are small.

I tried this i didn't do anything to crazy all i had on the back of my tank was black bristle board and i really did not enjoy it being so plain soviet painted a dinosaur skeleton on it and made it look like Its underground im quite pleased with it at the moment but might choose something more vibrant sometime soon.

Well after participating in this post I got excited to try some driftwood in my tank. Went out and found a nice piece in the backyard last night and boiled it. Finished putting it in this afternoon and rearranged the rocks quite a bit. Here are some before and after shots:

Beautiful, i love drift wood but its soo expensive! Your lucky you can find it for free! P.s. I love your cichlids :)

I tried this i didn't do anything to crazy all i had on the back of my tank was black bristle board and i really did not enjoy it being so plain soviet painted a dinosaur skeleton on it and made it look like Its underground im quite pleased with it at the moment but might choose something more vibrant sometime soon.

This is a good idea. If your worried about messing things up though you could do something I did which is similar. I had a painting that I did years ago and one night thought it would ale a great background for my goldfish tank. I took it off the wall and rehung it behind the aquarium. I've used it as a background ever since.

Attachments

• image-1483016204.jpg
    image-1483016204.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 74
This is a good idea. If your worried about messing things up though you could do something I did which is similar. I had a painting that I did years ago and one night thought it would ale a great background for my goldfish tank. I took it off the wall and rehung it behind the aquarium. I've used it as a background ever since.

Looks awesome!

Thanks for putting up this thread. I hope your getting some good ideas. As a matter of fact it's gotten me thinking about doing a complete redo of my third tank, a 54 gallon mbuna tank. Im thinking I've got a new project!

Love the driftwood, maybe you could make a different plain of hight on one side of the tank with a pebble river working from the higher plain down to the opposite side :)

Back
Top Bottom