Any bottom feeders for small tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bohte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2.5 gallon tank but I was told that most bottom feeders don't do well in such small tanks. Is there any bottom feeder good for smaller tanks!? I'm very new at this. I have two tetra in there now

There aren't any that I know of that would be ok in a tank that small. Honestly, I don't know of any tetras either that would be ok in a tank that small. What do you have in there right now?
Something that would do well in that tank are shrimp. Rcs are really fun and actually fairly active. They also breed readily and some stores will take the shrimplets in exchange for in-store credit.
Another option for your tank instead of tetras is a betta. They are personable and reasonably active when given a bit of swimming space.

i rlly think that tetras should be in schools of at least six so maybe you should get a betta instead like angel said, but some bettas can be agressive to shrimp so maybe a shrimp only tank?

i rlly think that tetras should be in schools of at least six so maybe you should get a betta instead like angel said, but some bettas can be agressive to shrimp so maybe a shrimp only tank?
Good point. :) I did not necessarily mean both betta and shrimp. Thanks for pointing that out.

A nerite snail would work for that tank size.

I am looking into upgrading my tank size. What size would you recommend for a beginner?

If you have the space, a 20g tank is a good place to start. The larger you go, the more options you will have for stocking. If you can fit a 29g or bigger, that would be better. But, a 20g is a good place to start in my opinion, especially if space and money are an issue. The only real difference between a larger tank and a smaller tank as far as care goes is that a larger tank means a greater volume of water has to be moved around to do water changes.

you might think that smaller is easier but larger is better for numerous reasons. you have more stocking options and you have more room for failure. for a smaller tank, a raise in ammonia could affect the tank really quickly while in a larger tank, it'll only grow a little

Back
Top Bottom