Any experience with dwarf gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I am still trying to straighten out the "worm" mess with the help of veterinarians. However, in the meantime I am planning on what I will do when that happens.

Does anybody have any experience with dwarf gouramis? I have two sets of opinions - one being they are peaceful and shy, hardy, a good beginner fish. And another saying they'll fin nip.

AJ

Its been my experience that all Gouramis are a bit aggressive, although the dwarfs are far less than they larger counter parts.

For instance, my Pearl constantly harasses my poor Angel. I am going to have to move him if it continues.

I would go with the neon blue, honey, and powder blue gouramis. I have had success with these three.

I've 3 dwarf gouramis; 2 in my planted 10g, one in QT. Male dwarf gouramis can be aggressive towards each other. Mine have staked out 2 separate sides of the tank, but when one crosses the other's boundaries they fight. I'm actually hoping the one in QT is a female; I'll be moving one of the males out and moving (hopefully) her in in about a week. They don't harass the otos or cardinals in the tank; when I first introduced FW shrimp they were initially interested, now they could care less and don't even look at em.

Dwarf gouramis can be agressive, but usually are not if the correct precautions are taken into consideration. Males are definitly more agressive than females, however, it is usually towards other gourami species. Also, if the dwarf gourami doesn't feel like he has a territory claimed, he will roam the tank and cause trouble. This is why I recommend only one male gourami (unless the tank is big) and lots of plants, plastic or real, in the gravel and floating on top, along with the decorations.

I have 2 dwarf gouramis which I have had for awhile, the “bigish” red fish in the middle right

updated-fish-tank.jpg

but lost a couple before my present pair. I went to the shop and asked for two gouramis, and they sold me two males, a blue and red. They literally nipped each other to death. I asked the shop why they sold me two males as they are constantly attacking each other but apparently it is rare for a blue dwarf gourami to attack a red gourami …. Anyway they gave me a female gourami to add a bit of sex to the mix but it was too late for the two males and I eventually put them out of their misery.

I did not add another gourami to my tank to ensure that there was no gourami specific disease in the tank after which I added another red male dwarf gourami and he has been peacefully living in my tank with guppies, cardinals etc. He is a bit pugnacious (as described in a book) towards the female dwarf gourami but apparently, that is normal.

Therefore I figure that it is risky adding two males in the tank but they do like a chase, so add a female otherwise they may chase something else

the above is the full extent of my knowledge, take from it what you will LOL

LondonGman said:
Therefore I figure that it is risky adding two males in the tank but they do like a chase, so add a female otherwise they may chase something else

I found this to be true as well. My two males fought ruthlessly until one became weak and hid all the time. Since I moved the weaker one to my 30 gallon tank, he is a completely different fish. The aggressive one has started chasing the platies since he doesn't have his gourami "whipping boy" anymore :). But the platies are too fast for him to do them any harm.

Back
Top Bottom