Any help is very much appreciated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joonburg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added a school of Silver Dollars to my established 55 gallon community tank. Two days later, I noticed that the new school started showing signs of Ich. I immediately started treating the water with Ich Guard after I removed the media from both of my filters. I've been doing partial water changes and retreating the water for the past four days, yet my fish (not the Silver Dollars) are starting to die. Is there something else that I should be doing?

I have excellent filtration 2 Marineland 330's with bio wheels and excellent oxygenation with one huge airstrip and a separate large airstone. I raised the temp to 82 degrees when I first started treatment. All of my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels were normal.

I'm using API freshwater ammonia and PH test kit. My PH is at 7.0 and I'll have to recheck my ammonia levels when I get home later. Last time I checked, the ammonia was 0.0-0.2 range.

The tank size wasn't the problem as I only had two other schools in there. One school of danios and one school of black stripe tetras. I also have a rope fis and a pictus cat (now deceased).

Ick can kill fish quick, just remember if you use any form of medications, some fish are not tolerant of any chemicals.

Also just a rule of thumb...when raising the temp also make sure there is plenty of air circulating....heat depletes oxygen.

80 degrees is sufficient for speeding the life cycle of ick, 86 might be to high and stress the fish more

At 80 degrees, within 3 days the fish should show signs of healing. Also change at least 50% water everyday to remove the ick, especially cleaning the bottom where they fall. If you have a good cycled tank, the parameters will go back to normal quickly.

Back
Top Bottom