Any ideas for an algae eater in a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been redoing my stick lately and the only bottom feeder I have are 4 kuhli loaches with don't really help with algae. I was wondering what I could add that can clean up without needing a large school like cories and won't make a ton of mess like plecos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All my tanks with nerite snails have no algae at all, so I highly recommend them. Otos could also work if you aren't interested in the those, but I find snails to be more effective.

+1 on nerites. Always cleaning and they won't breed in fresh water. 2 for a 20 gal should do the trick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5 or 6 should easily take care of a 55. They will not harm plants, I have them in my planted tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking of OTO cats for the same reason but perhaps I'll purchase a snail and stick with my stocking plan

Go with nerite snails, you will be glad you did. I have had one of those tan colored caves from petsmart for a long time in a 20 gallon and it had algae all over it. One nerite has it mostly cleaned up. There are 5 in my 55g.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another vote for nerite snails. I have them in my tanks both Zebras and tracked. Just bought a few more on Teusday from Petco. Alison

Me too

Yes thank you for this thread and replies, I just got two oh and another shrimp cause I can

I love my merited except when they get really big. Then they start laying eggs all over the place. I know they won't hatch but there a tons of unhatched eggs in the glass that I'm just waiting for them to rot off. I could use a razor but I'd rather not risk scratching the glass. SO, other than that, I vote a big +1 on the nerites.

I might just make brackish/salt tank for the nerites so that their eggs can hatch and then I'll have young'ns to put in my display tank.

These guys don't play after a few hours one cleaned off 1/8th if my front glass alge

I know a razor won't. But I know that I could with a razor. =p

Try an old credit card to scrape them off. Won.t scratch the glass, My nerites prefer to decorate my driftwood. Alison

Thanks. But for the OP don't let my experience with nerites snails deter you away from them.

I intend on getting young ones again.

So this morning my snails thanked me for all the alge and left eggs all over the front of the tank. DOH I used my alge pad but it looks like I'm going to have to razor them off as well. But the brown alge is doing great I really didn't need two in a 10g tank.

I leave a goodly number in all my tanks. They also pick up after messy eaters.

Back
Top Bottom