Any ideas for what fish next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ottermus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a big stuck as to what fish to get next for my 55g freshwater aquarium! I already have a parrot fish, three dwarf guarami, 3 tiger barbs, 1 swordtail, a small pleco and 2 "surviving neons" all the fish are small except the parrot and pleco! Need something interesting and larger than all the small fish I have but I don't want to upset the harmony of he tank, any ideas guys?

Albino Cory catfish are very fun and active fish. They also look like little mustache guys. Lol. But they are a schooling fish so get atleast 3 but preferably at least 5. I love my 2 little Corys and I call them the sillys cuz they are pretty hyper and love to swim around really fast.

I'd increase the tiger barb school--they do best in groups of 6 plus and are less apt to turn into bullies that way. I take it you don't want to add to the "surviving neons" then? As for bigger fish, how much bigger are you wanting?

We had a school of 6 neons which were fully grown but they died one by one but the last two seem to be ok! I was thinking something bright and colourful, maybe 6 inches in size, will definately add to the tiger barbs btw

No I don't think he's a common plec, we bought him a couple of years ago not knowing about this site and without much experience, but he's really not grown all that much, a friend of mine had one about a foot long and ours is nowhere near that size, he's maybe 6 inches or so and he's been that size for ages now.

You might wanna check out something like a German blue ram, they grow a muscled looking 3-4in

Not sure if the parrot would get him though :/

I just bought a Spotted African Leaf... They grow to about 4 inches and are very cool fish. Not sure how the parrot would take to one. I have an angel in the tank with mine (also in the cichlid family) and they leave each other be. I think the Leaf is in the gourami family. He's super quick when he needs to be, but otherwise a peaceful, fun little fish.

No I don't think he's a common plec, we bought him a couple of years ago not knowing about this site and without much experience, but he's really not grown all that much, a friend of mine had one about a foot long and ours is nowhere near that size, he's maybe 6 inches or so and he's been that size for ages now.

Does your pleco have little bristles sticking up on his nose? If so, he is a bristlenose pleco and probably won't get more than 5 or 6". Of course, if he is a she the bristles won't be as prominent.

No he's got a couple of downward facing whiskers like on a catfish and he's coloured brown/green spotty, he hides most of the daytime in a cave or under a log.

No he's got a couple of downward facing whiskers like on a catfish and he's coloured brown/green spotty, he hides most of the daytime in a cave or under a log.

Sounds like he may be a common pleco and if he is he will get to big for your 55 gallon tank. I had one (that I bought before finding out how big they get) and quickly took him to my lfs and they took him. Something for you to think about.

I will keep an eye on him and trade him in if necessary, thanks

Post up a pic & we will ID it for you
& I agree, you're maxed out if it turns out to be a common plec

I will say not more.remember u hav a 55 gallon.let dem be full grown and swim happily.u reach d level.so dnt add new one if u wanna see ur buddies happy

Back
Top Bottom