Any qwerky extras you can suggest???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I'm setting up a 55g discus tank for a breeding pair of discus and I am planning on breeding them??? Other than the pair of discus I'm thinking a school of ottos a school of corys and two leopard frog plecos. I am looking for something which will work with the other tank mates but is a little different if you know what I mean??? Any suggestions are cool! I was thinking of a couple of fan shrimp as they will help clear particles from the water and will not harm the eggs also they're bio load is next to nothing what you guys think???

I suggest also skipping the pleco's as they can sometimes suck on Discus for their slime coat. This is a highly debated subject but many have lost Discus to this. I've seen pleco's do this on Goldfish before and saw a large pleco do this to bullhead catfish, which get a little over a foot, in our one pond and actually kill a couple.

Okay so now my stock lost is just the breeding pair and ottos what else can I put in there that won't harm them or the eggs but will benefit the cleaning of the tank and add something for appearance??? Would fan shrimp work and are the ottos okay???

Discus are the hardest fish to breed and you probably wouldn't want any thing with them even little fish I think?

Yeah I've got a breeding pair. So will the ottos be a problem too???

If you're breeding, I would give the discus the entire tank. You don't want them to get nervous and eat the eggs. Do you have a pic of the lovely pair? :)

I'm happy your back up and running with a new tank! Definitely post pics of make a thread so I can follow. Sorry I am no help! But I hope someone plays the fan shrimp because they're so neat. I would definitely get more than one!

I'm happy your back up and running with a new tank! Definitely post pics of make a thread so I can follow. Sorry I am no help! But I hope someone plays the fan shrimp because they're so neat. I would definitely get more than one!

Yeah the tank isn't set up yet still in the planning of it trying to work out everything I'm going to do I've got all the equipment and everything to scape with all I need to do is fill it up and add the plants and fish. I have a thread of the planning and setup stage called joeys new tank it's in the planted tank section.

If you're breeding, I would give the discus the entire tank. You don't want them to get nervous and eat the eggs. Do you have a pic of the lovely pair? :)

This is the pair they're paid for and awaiting me to set up the tank and get them in :) lovely pair and chens say they're trying to spawn constantly I said they could take the spawns the whole time they are holding them :)

image-4191359703.jpg

Super red melon discus :) can't wait to get them home!

This is the pair they're paid for and awaiting me to set up the tank and get them in :) lovely pair and chens say they're trying to spawn constantly I said they could take the spawns the whole time they are holding them :)

Super red melon discus :) can't wait to get them home!

They looks great! And I would advise against the African butterfly. Discus are South American.

Thanks. And yeah I love the butterfly's a school would be nice but as in the wild they jump out if the water for prey insects that says to me they will have no problem snatching the discus fry. Anyone have any input on the fan shrimp??? My guess is they can't eat solids as they filter tiny particles from the water so the eggs should be fine and they're not actually that active mainly just sit in one spot where there is high current to filter the water and they will get used to them being there after a short while. By the sounds of it I can't have a discus breeding tank for a pair of discus which will have a clean up crew and be safe for eggs and fry. I may have to just try the ottos and see how they get on if there's a problem il just pull them out and have to clean the glass etc. myself but surely me doing it will stress the fish god this is a head ache!!! I need some serious input guys :(

Back
Top Bottom