Any suggestions for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 guppies and 1 tetra that will be going back in the 28 gal. octagonal.

I have just done the following:

1. Removed the pleco...went to a store to go somewhere else.
2. Removed the fish into a glass pitcher for safety.
3. Removed ALL the rock and cleaned them because they were DIRTY thanks to Pleco and others.
4. Emptied water down to 1/3 of tank.
5. Refilled without adding clean rock.
6. Added Stress stuff for when tank has fresh water added.
7. Now recycling through my double filter (Marineland, up to 50 gal. pump).

Once water clears somewhat, will be doing the following:

1. Adding back the rocks.
2. Testing the water for balance...duh.
3. Re-install fish back to their nice clean tank if balance shows good; otherwise hold off until tomorrow so filter can continue to work.

Will then go to fish store to possibly get:

1. some new plastic plants, maybe new fake other stuff.
2. Fish.

Any suggestions? I want to get some more tetras for the lone one but don't know how many at first plus maybe some others.

Haven't decided if I'll get the bristlenose pleco...thinking about trying the magfloat first.

I don't really want to do fresh veges route. I've never done it and don't want to get too ambitious.

Suggestions for nice combinations of fish? I don't need to get them all at once. I usually introduce a few and then get a few more the next week or so.

I don't want danios, barbs, or gouramies. Had bad luck with them over the years.

I have learned a lot in just the 2 days I have been in here so thought I would ask before I go.

fanaticbooks
:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::

Does it look like this? Maybe an angelfish, fill out the rest of the tetras, another school of smaller fish and maybe some corydoras at the bottom. I think that would work... I'm not that good at the tall aquariums.

Attachments

• image-1225200742.jpg
    image-1225200742.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 131
Harlequin rasboras, rummynose tetras, penguin tetras, etc. Mostly any tetra that won't fit into the angelfish's mouth would work

I have to be careful with it since it likes to chase other fish. Since it has survived for at least 2 years, I can't deliberately remove it when it does. Figured in its old age, he is entitled to be grumpy. lol

instead of an angel,why not a betta? not sure if it will do good with the danios though

alLexX said:
instead of an angel,why not a betta? not sure if it will do good with the danios though

IMO/E I think it's fine with danios, I think if an angel can go a year without fin nipping by the danios (until the danios mysteriously disappeared, we later found remnants after vacation, guess the angel got hungry) it should be fine with a betta.

Is the betta fish a beta? And can they be in a tank with others? I always thought they had to be separate from all other fish. They are beautiful but didn't know they could be put with tetras and guppies. Would they also work with the coreydoras?

I'm not sure I want any more danios in my tank. The one zebra whatever might have to be a loner. I have had problems with them attacking other fish. This one has I know.

Figure if I plan it out before going to get, I won't have to rely on a salesperson trying to just sell to get rid of a fish.

Is the betta fish a beta? And can they be in a tank with others? I always thought they had to be separate from all other fish. They are beautiful but didn't know they could be put with tetras and guppies. Would they also work with the coreydoras?

I'm not sure I want any more danios in my tank. The one zebra whatever might have to be a loner. I have had problems with them attacking other fish. This one has I know.

Figure if I plan it out before going to get, I won't have to rely on a salesperson trying to just sell to get rid of a fish.
yes,betta fish is a beta. they are aggressive to each other(normally),but most other species are fine. the main problemis nippy fish hurting them. they may not do well with gupys because they kinda look like them

The one zebra "whatever" is a zebra danio.

The reason he is being aggressive is because he is by himself. Zebra danios are supposed to be in schools of six or more, the less you have the more aggressive they will be. Keeping them in schools diffuses the aggression and they are less likely to attack.

Thanks bruinsbro. I will try to make him happy. Maybe get him buddies instead of getting neons or cardinal tetras....maybe about 6 of those.

I might just add a couple more guppies to make 5 total.

I could also try some coreydoras...what does everyone think...about 3 for the 28 gal.?

That would give me 15 fish in the tank.

I would do it slowly of course
danios
then coreys if algae starting to show
then guppies.

If guppies eventually get old and die, then switch over to a beta or angelfish. By then I could see if the danios are looking for live snacks or like picking fights. lol

What do you think?

By the way, any special food or things in tank to help keep them healthy? I usually just use fake plants (positioned for hiding as needed) as well as some cave like stuff. Tried a live plant and it didn't do so well...took over my tank a while back. Went back to fake.

Last edited:
fanaticbooks said:
Thanks bruinsbro. I will try to make him happy. Maybe get him buddies instead of getting neons or cardinal tetras....maybe about 6 of those.

I might just add a couple more guppies to make 5 total.

I could also try some coreydoras...what does everyone think...about 3 for the 28 gal.?

That would give me 15 fish in the tank.

I would do it slowly of course
danios
then coreys if algae starting to show
then guppies.

If guppies eventually get old and die, then switch over to a beta or angelfish. By then I could see if the danios are looking for live snacks or like picking fights. lol

What do you think?

By the way, any special food or things in tank to help keep them healthy? I usually just use fake plants (positioned for hiding as needed) as well as some cave like stuff. Tried a live plant and it didn't do so well...took over my tank a while back. Went back to fake.

I would bump the school of cories to six as they like being in schools, also cories don't really eat algae as a main food source. They are opportunistic however and mine do forage on plants that have algae.

I agree cories are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 6. With the shape of your tank I would stick with a smaller type of cory such as a julii or panda.

The shape of your tank isn't great for danios. If you aren't crazy about them anyway, you might just want to rehome the one you have and go with something else.

If you don't want to supplement with veggies, I would avoid plecos and oto's. Your best bet as far as easy to maintain effeciant algae eaters would be nerite snails. For a 28 gal I would stock about 5 of them. Shrimp like RCS would be a nice addition as well, and they also do some algae clean up.

I would also try to get the fish back into the tank tonight. If you are leaving them in an alternate container, I would throw in an airstone.

Wow. Some great ideas.

The fish are back in the tank. I put them there about 5 hours ago. The balance was pretty much back to correct and clearing fast so transferred them.

Thank you for the suggestion of snails. I like snails. Used to have them. Had forgotten that. Should I also feed them a wafer every day or so?

Will write down your suggestion of cories also. I will be trying out that Wet Pets store. It looked interesting when I took the Pleco over.

What should I plan for cories to eat? Yes, I know I can look it up, but thought I would also get an opinion from those who actually have them survive. The few I have had died in spite of me talking to salesperson on feeding stuff.

How about this combination?

I'll eventually rehome the danio (probably when I go buy the first additional fish)

Buy 6-8 cories? I would like 8 in case a couple die but don't know if that is overfilling the bottom of my 28 gal.

keep my 3 guppies and add 2

maybe about 8 neon tetras.

Do you think that is too much?

I will be having 3 fake bushy plants and a couple of cave-like dwellings also so fishies have places to meditate. :)

Is that enough space left for this many? It seems a lot for the amount of water and space so am way open to suggestions for downsizing.

fanaticbooks

fanaticbooks said:
I'll eventually rehome the danio (probably when I go buy the first additional fish)

Buy 6-8 cories? I would like 8 in case a couple die but don't know if that is overfilling the bottom of my 28 gal.

keep my 3 guppies and add 2

maybe about 8 neon tetras.

Do you think that is too much?

I will be having 3 fake bushy plants and a couple of cave-like dwellings also so fishies have places to meditate. :)

Is that enough space left for this many? It seems a lot for the amount of water and space so am way open to suggestions for downsizing.

fanaticbooks

Sounds fine to me, you seem to have room for two more of the tetras and you'll be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom