Any suggestions for medium size, middle swimming fish other than Gouramis for a 20g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for something colorful and interesting to occupy the middle level of my tank. I have a couple small but fast endlers, 5 Purple Harlequin Rasboras, one Peacock Gudgeon (might pick up another, but they are small anyway), and 5 Crystal Red Shrimp. I got a Lyretail Killifish thinking he would be a good option, but he's a bully and only swims near the top and bottom anyway, so I'll be moving him into a breeder thank when I get him a girlfriend. Once he is out I was looking at the powder blue Gourami, but I haven't had the best luck with gouramis in the past, plus they seem pretty common, so I was just hoping someone had some other ideas!

I'm not interested in any more small or schooling fish, I'm wanting a larger fish to kind of be the "star" of this tank.

Thanks so much for any ideas you guys can provide!

How big is your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not many options in that size of tank. Maybe blue ram?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One honey gourami would be nice for a 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Angles anyone? I'm no expert, but my Rams stay in middle/bottom and the angels stay middle/top.

Any suggestions for medium size, middle swimming fish other than Gouramis for...

Not or a 20g, Imho they deserve a 29 at least. Powder blue gouramis or the sunset variety could work.

Thanks guys, I had actually been looking at a pair of the Electric Blue Rams, but at the fish store they were hanging near the bottom. I think I will do some research on them, I know a lot of people love them.

There pretty awesome but they are bottom dwelling cichlids. They like their little territory an always around the substrate

I have a single angel in my 20. It's big enough for a single fish, but not a pair.

Angles anyone? I'm no expert, but my Rams stay in middle/bottom and the angels stay middle/top.

Harlequins would probably be angel snacks once it matured.

And IMO a 20g is too small for a full size angel in a community tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you are looking for middle level schooling fish then rummynose tetras are great.

Otherwise small gouramis or dwarf cichlids are usually the way to go.

Thanks guys! I do love blue, especially since I have black substrate and lots of green plants. I already have Purple Harlequin Rasboras as my schooling fish...they are middle swimmers but not really tight schoolers. Saw some cool green ones I liked, too, but I'd rather have a larger, slower fish to kind of break things up.

Back
Top Bottom