Any suggestions on decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to keep cichlids, it's a 55 with sand and rock.. But to me, it just looks so plain.. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a black background.. Here is what it looks like so far, any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120906_175201.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120906_175201.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 128
  • ForumRunner_20120906_175222.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120906_175222.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 132
Getting a nice background would help. Either a 3D inside one or a tape on one for the back. You can also paint the tank wall black or blue as well.

I'm assuming with that type of tank it will be African cichlids? I'd add some tall driftwood and some clusters of fake tall plants for the back area that you can pin down with the rocks. Tetra Water Wonders makes nice large fake plants that can look very real when done correctly. A stump would also look nice. BUT the purists will likely say that rock only is the proper biotope for those types of fish.

Some driftwood would look quite nice IMO propped up against the rocks. It would also make a few more hidey holes for the fish when you get them.

And by the way, nice fish choice(y)

I'd paint the background black. Add more rocks and stack them towards the sides and back. This will give more hiding places and your fish will thank you. Also IMO with the colors your working with I'd agree with the above post. Some nice driftwood will look really nice and natural.

Also try and leave the front open for free swimming.

Here's my 75g African Cichlid tank

image-436564707.jpg

image-2476854256.jpg

image-4153267721.jpg

Here's a pic from the side do you can see even though the tank may look packed and busy I left about 5" of free swimming space in the front this space will also allow for viewing.

image-3056030920.jpg

Convict2161 said:
I'd paint the background black. Add more rocks and stack them towards the sides and back. This will give more hiding places and your fish will thank you. Also IMO with the colors your working with I'd agree with the above post. Some nice driftwood will look really nice and natural.

Also try and leave the front open for free swimming.

Here's my 75g African Cichlid tank

Here's a pic from the side do you can see even though the tank may look packed and busy I left about 5" of free swimming space in the front this space will also allow for viewing.

I love your tank convict! I have no clue where to get large pieces of driftwood like that.. But I love the look of your tank! (y)

Mommaof4boys said:
I love your tank convict! I have no clue where to get large pieces of driftwood like that.. But I love the look of your tank! (y)

Thank you so much! :)

Have you tried your LFS/LPS?

Maybe a stroll near a creek or river bank?

Even online... There are a few good sites.

BTW... I love HOUSE! I always said if was a doctor that would be me lol.

The best thing I have locally is petsmart, so what does that tell you? Lol I could try to walk down the river and see what I could find... or, online, but I like to see it in person.. :)

I LOVE HOUSE! I am putting off watching the last few episodes because I am in no way ready to say goodbye! Lol pretty sad huh? Lol

Mommaof4boys said:
The best thing I have locally is petsmart, so what does that tell you? Lol I could try to walk down the river and see what I could find... or, online, but I like to see it in person.. :)

I LOVE HOUSE! I am putting off watching the last few episodes because I am in no way ready to say goodbye! Lol pretty sad huh? Lol

Take a nice stroll by the river and you can pick it yourself! What more can ya ask for! :)

Then just boil, soak and clean it up real good and your set! Get a pic here so we can see it and let ya know what it is. You'll want to get hard dense pieces noting that will fall apart.

Convict2161 said:
Take a nice stroll by the river and you can pick it yourself! What more can ya ask for! :)

Then just boil, soak and clean it up real good and your set! Get a pic here so we can see it and let ya know what it is. You'll want to get hard dense pieces noting that will fall apart.

If it stops raining long enough tomorrow for a walk, I'll go on a driftwood hunt! :) I'll put pics of what I find! Thank you!

Andrew McFadden said:
Hmmmm.. if I must say that's good sound advise ^^^ was going to say something and ya convict ruined it :(

Haha great minds remember? :)

Mommaof4boys said:
If it stops raining long enough tomorrow for a walk, I'll go on a driftwood hunt! :) I'll put pics of what I find! Thank you!

Your very welcome! Hope it stops raining and you can enjoy yourself. Will be waiting of pics :)

Convict2161 said:
Haha great minds remember? :)
Remember I didn't forget just waiting on you so I can remind her lol

[/QUOTE]Your very welcome! Hope it stops raining and you can enjoy yourself. Will be waiting of pics :)[/QUOTE]

African Cichlids require a high ph and you may need to use a buffer such as crushed coral in your filter. The tannins in the driftwood will lower the ph so you'll really need to boil as stated above by convict to get out as much as possible. If you don't get it all out the crushed coral will become very handy. What's the current ph of your tap water?

Oops messed that up lol

Andrew McFadden said:
Remember I didn't forget just waiting on you so I can remind her lol
Your very welcome! Hope it stops raining and you can enjoy yourself. Will be waiting of pics :)[/QUOTE]

African Cichlids require a high ph and you may need to use a buffer such as crushed coral in your filter. The tannins in the driftwood will lower the ph so you'll really need to boil as stated above by convict to get out as much as possible. If you don't get it all out the crushed coral will become very handy. What's the current ph of your tap water?

Oops messed that up lol[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Got me lol. Good advice right there! I must be getting tired.

Lol my pH is 8.2 in my 44 ... Since I have moved, I haven't checked the tap here yet, but I'm going to assume it's going to be the same, leaving my tank at 8.2?

Mommaof4boys said:
Lol my pH is 8.2 in my 44 ... Since I have moved, I haven't checked the tap here yet, but I'm going to assume it's going to be the same, leaving my tank at 8.2?

Shouldn't assume you should always check. With the driftwood it may still lower it so I'd check a few times before getting fish.

IMO with that pH there is no need to add any crushed coral, I think it is high enough. My DW lowered my pH by only .2, so if you boil it well, it shouldn't drop too much.

As Andrew said, though, always a good idea to test.

Andrew McFadden said:
Shouldn't assume you should always check. With the driftwood it may still lower it so I'd check a few times before getting fish.

Yes sir!

I'll make sure to test and get the same results for a week or so before even thinking about adding fishies! :)

Back
Top Bottom