Any water ager that does not smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if you're storing the premixed safe? I emailed seachem back when I got safe asking if this was an option, basically said no, it will run its coarse in 24 hrs and basically become in effective. I just dump a pinch in the wc barrel 5 min before party time. Hasn't failed me yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I am !!:eek:
I mix only enough to last aprox 1 month.:rolleyes:
Seachem has stated the difference between prime and safe is the lack of a 'preservative'?
I own a chlorine test kit:)cool:) and regulary test the effectiveness anyways.
It has never failed to act properly for me.
I test as soon as the 32g barrel(brute) is full and it has never shown chlorine once!!;)
I truly appreciate the heads man!:thanks:

I am !!:eek:
I mix only enough to last aprox 1 month.:rolleyes:
Seachem has stated the difference between prime and safe is the lack of a 'preservative'?
I own a chlorine test kit:)cool:) and regulary test the effectiveness anyways.
It has never failed to act properly for me.
I test as soon as the 32g barrel(brute) is full and it has never shown chlorine once!!;)
I truly appreciate the heads man!:thanks:

I wanted to do the same. Maybe they were just covering their corporate behinds??

Actually, for those doing fish in cycling, an ammonia spike is not an unexpected problem and PRIME is an alternative to doing massive daily water changes. To my knowledge, there is no other single product on the market that does all the things (dechlorinates, helps slime production and metal/ chemical detoxifying) that PRIME does therefore it has no single alternative option. :whistle: The closest I know of is the combination of Amquel ( or the new Amquel +) and Novaqua ( or new Novaqua + ). I've not used either of the new + forms of these products but the original products had some faults.

Yes, products like AmmoCarb or ammonia blockers can remove the ammonia over time while PRIME is more instant but they don't dechlorinate or help the fish produce slime. There are other options for dechlorination and slime production but they lack in the ability to detoxify. This is what makes PRIME worth the smell (IMO) because it does it all in one dose and from one bottle. But if you are willing to shell out more money to have more products, that's obviously your choice. ;) (y)

Here's a tip for those using the big bottle, I took the dropper top off the small bottle of PRIME and am using it on the 500ML/ 16.9 Fl Oz bottle so I don't have to open the big bottle. If I need more than some drops worth, squeezing the bottle into a measurer also works. It's an alternative to having to smell the smell. :D(y)

Hope this helps. (y)

I know that cycling is an expected problem but IMO you should be doing WC to change that not adding chemicals. I can see where you come from though. And its hard to tell if you have any issues in the tank in regards to ammonia, or to test if the tank is done cycling, when the Prime is masking it.

Again, just my thoughts :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

And its hard to tell if you have any issues in the tank in regards to ammonia, or to test if the tank is done cycling, when the Prime is masking it.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Prime doesn't mask anything?:ermm:
As a matter of fact if you use prime to 'detoxify' ammonia it will still register on a test as being there?:confused:
I think you are passing along info from unfounded post of how prime effects cycling?:angel:
It doesn't, IMO and NO one has proven it does?
Many cycle regulary without problems using prime,some just look to pass blame when things don't go as they plan.:nono:
Every tank is different and the definition of 'chemical' very broad.....
I would be careful if you use salt(a chemical)....:facepalm:
I can't think of one legitimate issue with keepers using prime :whistle:

I know that cycling is an expected problem but IMO you should be doing WC to change that not adding chemicals. I can see where you come from though. And its hard to tell if you have any issues in the tank in regards to ammonia, or to test if the tank is done cycling, when the Prime is masking it.

CB called it right on the nose. PRIME masks nothing. Unless your test kit can differentiate between ammonia and ammonium, ( and most can't) it will show up in the test kit the same at the same level. The difference is the toxicity. PRIME makes the presence of ammonia not a lethal situation. Plain dechlorinators don't do that. Water changes don't even do that. You just have a smaller amount of toxic ammonia with a water change. You have NO toxic ammonia when using PRIME ( as directed.) In actuality, even the ammonia present at the start of the cycle is converted to ammonium before it is consumed by the bacteria. I believe that's stated in the "Fritz" article I use as reference.
You may want to check where you got that information from as it's not correct. ;)

And NO, I am not now or ever been sponsored by SEACHEM to hawk their products. ;);) I just know a great one when I see it. :D(y)

Ok, i concede :)

I apparently misunderstood how it deals with ammonia and i thought it would mask it from the test strips and stuff.

Sorry for talking about something I'm not the most knowledgable about, usually thats not me :)

But still, IMO, i prefer WC instead of chemicals. And i know that it still leaves toxic stuff, but even in cycling i want as little chemicals as possible. Dechlor and stress-coat stuff, thats it. Im not a fan of the carbon in filter cartridges either... Just what i like to do :)

Although you were right about the Prime, which makes me sad. Im supposed to be the best at everything ever!!

:)

Ok, i concede :)

I apparently misunderstood how it deals with ammonia and i thought it would mask it from the test strips and stuff.

Sorry for talking about something I'm not the most knowledgable about, usually thats not me :)

But still, IMO, i prefer WC instead of chemicals. And i know that it still leaves toxic stuff, but even in cycling i want as little chemicals as possible. Dechlor and stress-coat stuff, thats it. Im not a fan of the carbon in filter cartridges either... Just what i like to do :)

Although you were right about the Prime, which makes me sad. Im supposed to be the best at everything ever!!

:)

Don't concede, just get informed. ;)(y)

Re your comment :"And i know that it still leaves toxic stuff, but even in cycling i want as little chemicals as possible. " No it doesn't. That's the point. It converts ammonia ( toxic) to ammonium (not toxic) so it actually is better than a water change because a water change only dilutes the toxic ammonia into a smaller percentage of toxic ammonia. You are comparing dilution to conversion.
But be that as it may, even Dechlor and stress coat are chemicals so if you really want a chemical free system, you need a better water source that doesn't need dechlorinating. (y) Have you thought about collecting rainwater? :)

EDIT: I just reread your last post and may have misread it the first time. (oops ) You agreed that water changes alone would still leave toxic ammonia while I thought you were still talking about the PRIME. Sorry :flowers:

Don't concede, just get informed. ;)(y)

Re your comment :"And i know that it still leaves toxic stuff, but even in cycling i want as little chemicals as possible. " No it doesn't. That's the point. It converts ammonia ( toxic) to ammonium (not toxic) so it actually is better than a water change because a water change only dilutes the toxic ammonia into a smaller percentage of toxic ammonia. You are comparing dilution to conversion.
But be that as it may, even Dechlor and stress coat are chemicals so if you really want a chemical free system, you need a better water source that doesn't need dechlorinating. (y) Have you thought about collecting rainwater? :)

EDIT: I just reread your last post and may have misread it the first time. (oops ) You agreed that water changes alone would still leave toxic ammonia while I thought you were still talking about the PRIME. Sorry :flowers:

By concede i mean you're right.

I thought that it just nullified the effects of Ammonia for a while, not converted it. That was my bad :)

And i know about rain-water or leaving the water to age for awhile, but I'm too lazy. If i was willing to do that, i wouldn't need any chemicals except an addition if stress-coat stuff just because i actually think it help due to Aloe Vera being in it.

So yes, technically i could go chemical free but for the sake of practicality i use dechlor. But I'm not bothered about doing WC to dilute Ammonia so i don't feel its needed.

I dont use prime i use API as im not a fan if the price tag attached to Seachem stuff. I know its bit too expensive. But its still a buck or ten.

The standard API Dechlorinator smells only a bit. The stuff that dechlors as well as adds a slime-coat thing (for the life of me i cant remember its name) doesn't smell though. It works the same, i use it about 1/2 of the time and the smelly stuff the other half just so i don't over dose on the stress-coat stuff. If thats even possible.

Yes, prime is a little more expensive than api chemicals. However, prime is way way more concentrated.

Prine uses 1ml / 10g of water. Stress coat uses 5ml / 10g of water. With prime being approximately twice the price of stress coat youre still saving money on it. 5 500ml bottles of stress coat should cost you about $30 while 1 500ml bottle of prime will treat the same amount of water for $12
Not sure if you're storing the premixed safe? I emailed seachem back when I got safe asking if this was an option, basically said no, it will run its coarse in 24 hrs and basically become in effective. I just dump a pinch in the wc barrel 5 min before party time. Hasn't failed me yet...

Of course they say that, and you should also replace the filter cartridges monthly as well as doing an initial dose of 5x the recommended amount of excel. Theres no money in it if aquarium companies tell you the truth.

Of course they say that, and you should also replace the filter cartridges monthly as well as doing an initial dose of 5x the recommended amount of excel. Theres no money in it if aquarium companies tell you the truth.[/QUOTE]

Yah, no doubt directions push you towards extra spending but in this case you'd be using the same amount. No different from mixing your dry ferts in water vs dry dosing.

Of course they say that, and you should also replace the filter cartridges monthly as well as doing an initial dose of 5x the recommended amount of excel. Theres no money in it if aquarium companies tell you the truth.

Yah, no doubt directions push you towards extra spending but in this case you'd be using the same amount. No different from mixing your dry ferts in water vs dry dosing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE]
Unless they are telling you that in hopes that you will buy their prime for increased convenience :)

Unless they are telling you that in hopes that you will buy their prime for increased convenience :)[/QUOTE]

I will do nothing of the sort thank you very much.

Yes, prime is a little more expensive than api chemicals. However, prime is way way more concentrated.

Prine uses 1ml / 10g of water. Stress coat uses 5ml / 10g of water. With prime being approximately twice the price of stress coat youre still saving money on it. 5 500ml bottles of stress coat should cost you about $30 while 1 500ml bottle of prime will treat the same amount of water for $12

I guess the value thing makes sense, but its not as if I'm spending a few cents per gallons treated. I still have to hand over the higher initial cost. And the large bottles of API stuff, especially the plain Dechlor, are a bit cheaper. So in my place i think API is better, based off of preference and money... Not saying its better overall, but works better for me.

I guess the value thing makes sense, but its not as if I'm spending a few cents per gallons treated. I still have to hand over the higher initial cost. And the large bottles of API stuff, especially the plain Dechlor, are a bit cheaper. So in my place i think API is better, based off of preference and money... Not saying its better overall, but works better for me.

On the flip side as well, now I have a decades worth of water conditioner - I need a new excuse to go to the lfs...

On the flip side as well, now I have a decades worth of water conditioner - I need a new excuse to go to the lfs...

Yeah, thats my PRIME reason to just stick with what i have.

See what i did there :)

Api is crap if your water is loaded with crap.. api wouldn't even take the edge off my city water. And it's green, make your tank look like a lava lamp. I challenge you to poll any serious aquarist on how they treat water. Short of knowing the cheat to prime they all use prime. Api is good for over the counter meds in a pinch and that's all as far as I'm concerned.

Api is crap if your water is loaded with crap.. api wouldn't even take the edge off my city water. And it's green, make your tank look like a lava lamp. I challenge you to poll any serious aquarist on how they treat water. Short of knowing the cheat to prime they all use prime. Api is good for over the counter meds in a pinch and that's all as far as I'm concerned.

Prime good. PRIME GREAT. API bad....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime /safe.
The math says that prime is cheaper then anything except safe period.

I don't use meds either... Ive used API Dechlor the whole entire time I've kept fish, and its been fine. I get that it isn't popular opinion but it works fine for me.

I use Dechlor and Stress Coat. Thats it. I use the Stress Coat because i believe the Aloe Vera is helpful. And i use Dechlor because i don't have the time to let water sit for a few days. Im not in the process of doing more than near minimum in regards to any chemicals, including meds. If you want to believe in Prime, fine. But, i would appreciate not being antagonized (wether or not its intentional) over my choice in Dechlor. I was simply answering the original question.

Thank you :)

Just a thought here for the OP.

Either API or seachem I trust more as a known brand (that's over here - there's probably heaps of brands out there I don't get to see :( )

I have been caught with little surprises with brands I find it difficult to research. I'm sure they are good products and the research is there, I just can't find it. Wondered if others find this?

Back
Top Bottom