anybody ever heard of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
the American-flag fish. My local pet store sold me one to take care of some grass algea I was getting on all my live plants. Said it was a community fish from florida, but after I put him in the tank, he killed my sword mollie. I have done some research on them, and it seems kind of mixed emotions. Anybody have any other experience? He is still chasing a few of my other fish around.

tank stats:

10gal planted

6 white clouds
1 mollie
2 dwarf platties
1 loach
1 American-flag fish

amonia = 0 ppm
nitrite= 0 ppm
nitrate = 10 ppm
PH = 7.0-7.2

tetra looking (but a bit bigger) grey fish with blue and red scales on its side resembling a flag

Florida flag fish Jordanella floridae if memory serves. It is native to Florida and the male has lines of red scales resembling the stripes of the American Flag. They are most famed for their appetite for hair algae. They can be very territorial, especially in smaller tanks. He started nipping other fish in my 20 gal, so he is now in half of my fry/qt tank. They are less aggressive if they have more space and a few females. Mine only picked on smaller fish.

*looks at picture* It kinda looks like a cross between a molly/platy and a tetra 8O only shinier lol

you mean southern? Yeah, i agree it is a pretty fish it just looks like 2 fish smooshed together lol

Back
Top Bottom