Anybody ever put pond plants in there aquarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if anyone else has we have a chichlid tank at work and it needed plants with a budget of zero so I went outside and cut some plants from the koi pond! That was yesterday and today when I got to work they had literally doubled in size!!! Here's a picture of when I put them in and when I got to work today honestly these pictures where taken around 16 hours apart!!! Yesterday

image-2435439979.jpg

And today...

image-1025767756.jpg

Anybody got any experiences or know of things to watch out for when doing this??? I washed the plants thoroughly before adding them to the tank. Cheers!

I don't have any exp with pond plants, but tried tropical plants. My fish didnt like them haha, well they did like them...too much...and ate them? Mine never grew that fast! Haha. You are lucky.

I don't know what kind of plant that is, but here is a potential problem I see: most pond plants are immersed, their roots are in the water but they grow out of the water. Aquarium plants are mostly submersed, they grown completely in the water. A lot can grow in either state, but a lot of plants that are supposed to be immersed will die if they are completely underwater. My recommendation would be to just keep an eye on it. They leaves may melt off and grow back, which is fine, but if it completely dies it can throw off the parameters of the tank

I don't know what kind of plant that is, but here is a potential problem I see: most pond plants are immersed, their roots are in the water but they grow out of the water. Aquarium plants are mostly submersed, they grown completely in the water. A lot can grow in either state, but a lot of plants that are supposed to be immersed will die if they are completely underwater. My recommendation would be to just keep an eye on it. They leaves may melt off and grow back, which is fine, but if it completely dies it can throw off the parameters of the tank

Nice one for the info il keep an eye out think they're going to go crazy in there!

The lilys and lotus will make their way to the surface if they really want to be there. I grow most of my plants outside. As far as taking plants out of the wild, though, I suggest sterilizing them prior to adding to a tank.

Back
Top Bottom