Anybody had experience with culturing earthworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bichir which im sure would love them a few times a week. I think i wanna give it a try but im not really sure how to do it. Anybody done it?

Raising earthworms is ridiculously easy. Build a bottomless box or make a bottomless tub, place over the yard where you don't care that the grass will be killed, and fill with a mixture of dirt and compost and/or horse crap, water well, and they'll come up from the ground and start munching on the compost and crap. Just make sure it doesn't get too dry and hard. And be sure to add some fresh compost/crap every now and then.

And that can create enough to actually start a bait shop.

It's fairly easy, and really doesn't cost much, although I'd probably just grab some from a bait shop. I'm lazy. :p

Yea it sounds easy but i think id rather get some from a bait shop and start l a culture instead of getting them from the ground to avoid disease the best i can

True but i think theyd be a little cleaner or more healthier tha ones that are dug up. There would be no risk of chemicals either

Worm composting is ridiculously easy, all it takes is a little shredded paper and some food scraps (the only thing they don't like is onion and other high-sulfur food). Worms actually feed on the nematodes and fungi that are breaking down food waste, so they can't eat fresh food (only smelly rotten food). A few months of single-family kitchen scraps is enough to create a booming worm population as long as the temperature is right (~80F inside the compost heap)

Back
Top Bottom