Anybody know of any good online Wild Veiltail Angelfish vendors? - Also question abt:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently working on setting up four different tanks in my bed room. So far I have a 30 gallon with five African Cichlids (two Blue-Golds 1M 1F and three Alunocara OB Peacocks- 1M 2F), a 2-liter brine shrimp hatchery and 10 gallon grow-out tank, a 20 gallon tank currently being cycled and a 90 gallon flat-back hexagonal show tank which is eventually going on top of my dresser (short; less than 3 feet high but 63 inches long). The 90 gallon is also where the Wild Veil-tail angels will eventually go. This tank is currently in my garage being treated for scratches (Acrylic) and once I'm done with that, I will start the cycle process. I'm seeking more than one vendor because I want different bloodlines for breeding them. I'm not concerned with age or size because I have no intention of rushing the process (we all know how that goes). Another question I have is: Are these angelfish compatible with L46 Plecos? I plan on buying juveniles in the future. Money is no object *right now* so comments about how expensive they are won't be necessary. I just need to know if they are compatible so they don't die on me.

Just a word of caution. I would give some thought to putting a 90 gallon tank on a dresser. They are not built to hold heavy loads, just clothes:eek: A 90 gallon tank, filled, and gravel, and decos will weigh several hundred pounds. As far as the fish you are looking for. Try Aquabid.com. There are hundreds of vendors on there selling all different species of fish:)

Last edited:
My dresser is custom made with authentic wood and small, steel supports. This dresser is very wide in comparison to it's height so I'm undoubtedly sure that it can withstand the weight of half a ton or greater. As for aquabid, I'm currently the high bidder for a group of L46 Zebra Plecos ($850 USD) , but I cannot find the type of Wild Veiltail Angels I'm looking for. I'm not sure what they're called but I recall them having significantly longer, more elegant fins than the average angelfish. :(

Bryanm70 said:
My dresser is custom made with authentic wood and small, steel supports. This dresser is very wide in comparison to it's height so I'm undoubtedly sure that it can withstand the weight of half a ton or greater. As for aquabid, I'm currently the high bidder for a group of L46 Zebra Plecos ($850 USD) , but I cannot find the type of Wild Veiltail Angels I'm looking for. I'm not sure what they're called but I recall them having significantly longer, more elegant fins than the average angelfish. :(

To test the dresser, get a few friends together and sit on it. Try to get as close to the tank weight as you can, roughly 10 lbs per gallon plus some for decor. Although that would be a lot of people on a dresser... But please test it somehow before you ruin what seems to be a very nice dresser and a nice tank!

To test the dresser, get a few friends together and sit on it. Try to get as close to the tank weight as you can, roughly 10 lbs per gallon plus some for decor. Although that would be a lot of people on a dresser... But please test it somehow before you ruin what seems to be a very nice dresser and a nice tank!

Will do :) Could have done it today, but I didn't even think about it when they were here, lol.

Veiltales are something that people have selectively bred for in angels. When you say "wild" do you mean Pterophyllum altum? Usually the aquarium angelfish for sale are Pterophyllum scalare (or some people think a mix of P. scalare and P. eimekei). Or do you just mean veil-tale angels with the typical wild type coloration?
Either way, angel and the L46 should be fine together.

Bryanm70 said:
Will do :) Could have done it today, but I didn't even think about it when they were here, lol.

I can only imagine that phone call... "Hey, could you do me a favor? I need you and a few other people to come sit on my dresser for me."

Veiltales are something that people have selectively bred for in angels. When you say "wild" do you mean Pterophyllum altum? Usually the aquarium angelfish for sale are Pterophyllum scalare (or some people think a mix of P. scalare and P. eimekei). Or do you just mean veil-tale angels with the typical wild type coloration?
Either way, angel and the L46 should be fine together.

Pterophyllum Altum that's the one! That's what I'm looking for. You also answered my compatibility question. Thank you.

Pterophyllum Altum that's the one! That's what I'm looking for. You also answered my compatibility question. Thank you.
Glad to help! BTW, I am super jealous of the zebra plecos. I cannot even describe how much I want those. Lol.
I do not see altums for sale too much. Since you already know about aquabid, I would just keep checking there. Angels plus has them sometimes too, but they are a bit high IMO.

Glad to help! BTW, I am super jealous of the zebra plecos. I cannot even describe how much I want those. Lol.
I do not see altums for sale too much. Since you already know about aquabid, I would just keep checking there. Angels plus has them sometimes too, but they are a bit high IMO.

Well I'm in no rush. I want nice, high quality fish so I'd be happy being able to find a good looking Altum once every two months or so. If I get lucky with the zebra plecos I'll try and remember you for when they have fry, haha :cool:

I've heard of discus being kept with zebra plecos so I'd definitely say it's possible to mix them with altums. While it is possible I often see it being advised against, because you'll never get the best out of the plecos when they are housed this way. Altums enjoy very slow water movement while zebra plecos are the exact opposite. I guess it all depends on if you wish to breed the zebras as well as the altums.

I've heard of discus being kept with zebra plecos so I'd definitely say it's possible to mix them with altums. While it is possible I often see it being advised against, because you'll never get the best out of the plecos when they are housed this way. Altums enjoy very slow water movement while zebra plecos are the exact opposite. I guess it all depends on if you wish to breed the zebras as well as the altums.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the insight. I've done a lot of research and I didn't have knowledge of the differences in water movement preference.

I have usually heard form the people who keep altums that they are fine with a decent amount of water movement. They are not as picky about it as discus are and an intermediate amount should be fine for both species. Altums should be fine with the same water movement as scalare are IMO.
Good point to consider though c_leed.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the insight. I've done a lot of research and I didn't have knowledge of the differences in water movement preference.

Have you seen zebrapleco.com? There's lots of good info on breeding zebra plecos on there. Apologies if you already have. I thought I had read (forgive me since I can't currently find the sourse so i may be wrong) that zebra plecos should have at least 6 times turn over but that some breeders will go as high as 30. I'm actually hoping you can find a way to make it work though since those are both some very nice fish that I'm going to have to be jealous of you having. :)

Have you seen zebrapleco.com? There's lots of good info on breeding zebra plecos on there. Apologies if you already have. I thought I had read (forgive me since I can't currently find the sourse so i may be wrong) that zebra plecos should have at least 6 times turn over but that some breeders will go as high as 30. I'm actually hoping you can find a way to make it work though since those are both some very nice fish that I'm going to have to be jealous of you having. :)

Well they're just dreams in the process of coming true as I don't have either of them yet, haha. My African Cichlids never cease to amaze me though :)

And no I have not done any in-depth reading on zebrapleco.com, but since it has been recommended I will start my reading :)

I found the article that said 6 to 30. It's the start to finish article on zebrapleco.com. I wouldn't think altums would have any trouble at that lower end.

Back
Top Bottom