Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anybody Pump Up to a Filter?

For overflows, I've always seen an overflow in the main tank and a sump/filter on the bottom. Just curious if anyone has ever pumped up out of the main tank and had the filter drain back into the main tank. It seems quite possible, but I can think of a few reasons why this isn't as great of an idea. I just throught I'd throw this out there for discussion.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of the reasons why it is a bad idea is because when the filter is below the tank, it can be hidden in the stand. Your "idea" of a filter will require the filter on top or raised above the tank.

---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. I've seen so many tanks built into cabinets and walls, so it's possible to do I suppose, but like you said, almost every tank has something it's standing on, so draining to a filter is probably more practical.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

No reason you can't. Maybe a few reasons why it wouldn't be desirable- Probably the same you thought of.

Sumps aren't generally pretty. Unless you are hiding it above your tank, it would be visable. Easier to hide it in the tank stand.

Your pump is in your display tank instead of the sump.

And the last reason- When you install a sump, the water level in the sump changes with evaporation. With the sump and display tank reversed, the water level in the display tank changes, not the water level in the sump.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Typically, if anything is installed above the main tank, it is the refugium. This is done so pods and other critters don't go through the pump and get shredded. It's usually in conjunction with a sump underneath.

Tags
filter, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com