Anybody Pump Up to a Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
For overflows, I've always seen an overflow in the main tank and a sump/filter on the bottom. Just curious if anyone has ever pumped up out of the main tank and had the filter drain back into the main tank. It seems quite possible, but I can think of a few reasons why this isn't as great of an idea. I just throught I'd throw this out there for discussion.

One of the reasons why it is a bad idea is because when the filter is below the tank, it can be hidden in the stand. Your "idea" of a filter will require the filter on top or raised above the tank.

Yup. I've seen so many tanks built into cabinets and walls, so it's possible to do I suppose, but like you said, almost every tank has something it's standing on, so draining to a filter is probably more practical.

No reason you can't. Maybe a few reasons why it wouldn't be desirable- Probably the same you thought of.

Sumps aren't generally pretty. Unless you are hiding it above your tank, it would be visable. Easier to hide it in the tank stand.

Your pump is in your display tank instead of the sump.

And the last reason- When you install a sump, the water level in the sump changes with evaporation. With the sump and display tank reversed, the water level in the display tank changes, not the water level in the sump.

Typically, if anything is installed above the main tank, it is the refugium. This is done so pods and other critters don't go through the pump and get shredded. It's usually in conjunction with a sump underneath.

Back
Top Bottom